Dwarven City
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's completed and what's not

4 posters

Go down

What's completed and what's not Empty What's completed and what's not

Post  3rdi Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:20 am

List of what's completed
-Tunnel between the dome and the storage room

List of what needs to be finished
-Tunnel between entrance and dome
-Tunnel to mine
-Tunnel between dome and housing
-Tunnel between dome and nether room
-Tunnel between storage room and throne room
-Throne room
-Dome
-Eating hall

Sorry for the slight rage post, but I had a slight epiphany earlier today when doing the second half of the throne room floor and realised that although all our design ideas are amazing, they are never applied to the rest or the area they are ment to cover, I'm not blaming anyone, as I know that the tunnel to the mine I'm working on is still missing half the coal ore it needs, but I just wanted to remind people that there is a lot of stuff that could be finished pretty quickly if people went back to them. It doesn't take a design genius to copy a pre-existing pattern, so even if you're just on the server to dig (Which I find tons of fun), I feel you should take a few minutes every time you log on to complete some of the stuff that people have laid out. I personally am going to try and finish as much as possible before going to work on my shiny house and other new stuff, and I think the place would look a lot better if everything we had atm was fixed up and generally made to look shiny.

3rdi

Back to top Go down

What's completed and what's not Empty Re: What's completed and what's not

Post  Mimodo Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:02 am

Yes, I've noticed the same (hence other topics before).

You did miss the portal room tho :p on the sign wall I'll put up a list of what's needed to be completed. There's a few things you missed

Mimodo
Admin

https://mcdwarves.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:29 am

Ok, we know that half completed jobs are a problem, and of course, it didn't help when we opened up the atrium for digging.

but why did I do that? Because everyone was hanging around doing nothing, and complaining that we didn't have any digging to do. As you (incomplete) list shows, there was still plenty to do.

The problem is nobody knows what to do. Again, i tried to remedy that by all the threads I made, and by giving specific lists. I swear I was the only guy who knew what to do, and was constantly giving people jobs. A prime example of not having stuff planned out (why we dont know what to do) is the throne room, which we completely winged. the most planning we did was the tiles...

I will devote all my attention to the completion of these smaller tasks, and will post a list of them up on the wall in the store room

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:36 am

Brendanan wrote:
The problem is nobody knows what to do. Again, i tried to remedy that by all the threads I made, and by giving specific lists. I swear I was the only guy who knew what to do, and was constantly giving people jobs. A prime example of not having stuff planned out (why we dont know what to do) is the throne room, which we completely winged. the most planning we did was the tiles...

The throne room was actually better planned than most projects, as we had at least a rough floor plan and a general idea of dimensions before starting serious digging.

The throne room now mostly needs detailing. I'd finish the floor myself...but we don't have enough iron blocks to do the other half, last time I checked. So I've been waiting for the people who mostly like to mine to dig out some more iron ore, digging the atrium partly as a source of more iron ore, and working on other projects. I've been skimping on the spelunking and abandoned-mineshaft stripping because I don't want to wear out too much armor when we're conserving iron for the throne room floor. I'd remove the ugly chandeliers and try out some new designs, but the Silk Touch pick keeps going missing, and without it, I'm reluctant to muck about with glowstone and waste a non-renewable resource. The ceiling needs a few more recessed lights, but it's a serious pain to work on that high a scaffolding, so I've been putting it off.

I did get a bit sidetracked trying to improve the double grinder, and I've hit a roadblock there. The top of the new skeleton water ladder is wedged between the spider water escalator and the lava-fountain staircase pit between the entrance ramp and the nether portal room in the main dome. I need to move the water escalator over a couple of blocks, and as it's not a design I am intimately familiar with, I'm waiting for Splated to log back on and give me a hand with that.

In the meantime, I've been pretty much single-handedly digging the setbacks for the atrium walls. They're almost to the bottom of the old skeleton grinder, and the ledge is now 3 wide, so it's a lot safer and easier without the need to construct dirt scaffolds any more. The ledge is accessible easily via the inspection hatch under the old skeleton grinder if anyone wants to give me a hand.

Some may call this a lack of focus. I say it's one of the great things about Minecraft. There's always SOMETHING to do. Bored with one project? Hit a snag? There's another ongoing project elsewhere in the base you can work on for a while. When all else fails, go mining, or spelunking, or shaft-stripping. Harvest the farms. Go AFK in a grinder and surf the web in another window. Carry stone from the temporary chests at one of the dig sites to the main storage room. Sort the junk people dump in the quick-dump chests. Go out in the Nether with a bow and hunt Ghasts. Heck, go Zombie Pigman hunting, we can always use the gold nuggets.

But whatever you do, don't mope around complaining that there's nothing to do. I swear I'll pour a lava bucket on the next guy to do that.

spectrumwars
spectrumwars

http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Steel Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:45 am

spectrumwars wrote:
But whatever you do, don't mope around complaining that there's nothing to do. I swear I'll pour a lava bucket on the next guy to do that.

Personally I think locking him in an obsidian cage without tools is more fun.

Dr. Steel

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:53 am

Dr. Steel wrote:
spectrumwars wrote:

Personally I think locking him in an obsidian cage without tools is more fun.

Hard to guarantee they don't got tools in their personal inventory. Even then, encasing them in said obsidian cage...then pouring a lava bucket on top? That's fun.
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:06 pm

spectrumwars wrote: I'd remove the ugly chandeliers and try out some new designs, but the Silk Touch pick keeps going missing, and without it, I'm reluctant to muck about with glowstone and waste a non-renewable resource.

I designed a new chandelier a while ago, the one with the iron bars, forgot to ask what people thought of it. Also, I might be put in an obsidian box for this, but I don't consider it a massive sin to work with glowstone without a silk touch pick, when you break it, you get enough/almost enough dust to make another block, and I'd prefer going out and getting more to just sitting there and waiting untill we can use it in the most efficient way possible

3rdi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm with 3rdi... I don't think we waste silk touch on glowstone.

I need to try get active again (as much as I can with uni starting now), and I'll try push things along. I didn't get to throw up the signs on the wall of the store room though (they're up, but more need to be added)

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:23 pm

The problem with glowstone is that, pretty soon, you have collected all the glowstone within a safe and easy walk of your nether portal. Perhaps a new digging project could be a couple of long tunnels going in different directions in the nether, going underground as much as possible to be safe from ghasts, but popping up to the surface occasionally to provide sally ports for hunting and/or glowstone-mining expeditions.

On my old server, we dug a 2000-block-long rail tunnel through the Nether. We were trying to provide a shortcut between two distant settlements. A nice side benefit was the new opportunities for easy glowstone gathering it provided, both during construction when the route went right past (or, occasionally, through) glowstone formations, and afterwards, when the multiple "maintenance hatches" I'd built into its walls whenever it rose above the surface provided new starting and ending points for nether exploration trips.

Another nice side benefit was that it provided a safer way to hunt zombie pigmen and other non-ghast nether mobs. The problem with Zombie Pigmen is that, if you attack one, all the others nearby also turn hostile. So if you fight the in the open, a chain reaction often ensues and you are soon surrounded by angry undead pork roasts. But in a narrow tunnel, you can put up a temporary dirt barrier between yourself and a knot of pigmen, and snipe them from a secure position. Any other pigmen in range can't see it happen, and even if they do, they are outside the tunnel while you are safe inside. Even blazes are easier to handle in a confined space where their flight does them no good.
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Ok, so I figure I'l work on what needs to be finished in a logical order, so let's start at the top, with the entrance hall.

-Are the pillars done? are we keeping the two sets of pillars, or swapping one of them out? Personally I prefer the ones at the bottom, but I think they also need a little more work to break up the stone brick.
-Are we adding any more decorations to the walls? Like the lava fountain or stuff similar to other tunnels.
-Are we adding any side rooms? For either aesthetics, like guard rooms with weapon chests, or for practical reasons, not that I could think of any.
-Are we changing the shortcut? I had an idea of putting a 2x2 piston door there, but that would require moving the room around a bit, and pushing it out into the world, we could also make the shortcut look a bit nicer, extend it, or whatever.

Is there anything else that needs to be addressed before we can consider this completed, or is this all the stuff that needs to be done?

3rdi

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:09 pm

3rdi wrote:
-Are the pillars done? are we keeping the two sets of pillars, or swapping one of them out? Personally I prefer the ones at the bottom, but I think they also need a little more work to break up the stone brick.

Two sets. The only question is whether we're gonna have the lower half set be the stone-brick-pillars-covered-in-buttons design found at the bottom, or the lava-curtain-wall design found at the top of the bottom half of the entrance ramp.

3rdi wrote:-Are we adding any more decorations to the walls? Like the lava fountain or stuff similar to other tunnels.

I left space at the turns in the upper half of the entrance ramp for more lava fountains, water features, and interesting sculptures...which I haven't had the time or inspiration to add. Anyone else, feel free.

3rdi wrote:-Are we adding any side rooms? For either aesthetics, like guard rooms with weapon chests, or for practical reasons, not that I could think of any.

On the one turn with a lava fountain already, I included an arched entrance to a side chamber that does not yet exist. It should have a sign next to it reading "future expansion", but I had no firm ideas in mind for what to do with that room or corridor. It probably should be either a room we visit rarely if ever, or something done purely for aesthetics and design fun. Some of my more practical ideas I've been considering include:

1) A Snow Room. Basically, a room sealed off with an iron door with pushbutton controls, in which several Snow Golems are shut up. Need snow? Go to this room with a shovel and clear out the trails of snow they leave behind.

2.) Dog Kennel. We don't actually have any dogs, but build them a nice little dog kennel, then go out and find some. Good luck getting them across the lava moat.

3.) Redstone Testing Room. Basically a big dirt floor and some chests full of redstone dust, repeaters, pistons, switches, and the like. A place to test out redstone design concepts or generally muck around with the stuff.

3rdi wrote:-Are we changing the shortcut? I had an idea of putting a 2x2 piston door there, but that would require moving the room around a bit, and pushing it out into the world, we could also make the shortcut look a bit nicer, extend it, or whatever.

A better shortcut system would be a very good idea, but I haven't had any concrete ideas to put into place yet.
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:35 pm

I've always had plans to throw in a 2*2 piston door there. Just makes it less obvious to the outside world. 

Side rooms: one in the guard room with a control room for various traps, and maybe even a lever for the control of the piston door. 

That's all I'd thought of

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum