Dwarven City
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final stages of housing

+3
sret
3rdi
Brendanan
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do we have 4 or 8 apartments on the top floor?

Final stages of housing - Page 2 I_vote_lcap71%Final stages of housing - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 71% 
[ 5 ]
Final stages of housing - Page 2 I_vote_lcap29%Final stages of housing - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 7

Final stages of housing - Page 2 Empty Re: Final stages of housing

Post  Brendanan Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:55 pm

so no one wants an upstairs apartment? We've done a little more with them so far tonight... it's near impossible to explain how we play here to new people... "can I build this"... "well, what will it do for the city?" "oh... umm.... ah... idk" -.-

anyway, rant over :p I did show around a friend, not sure if he'll stay around long or not... doesn't seem to be his cup of tea this city Wink

A bit of bulk has been dug out of the apartment experiment, as well as a couple of dirt walls put up as a test to see how well it works. didn't get through too much though... kinda decided that we really need to get it finished, as we've been procrastinating it far too long, and server activity is almost nil
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kingbraces10 Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:25 am

I do really like the idea of the penthouses, but we need to consider what if there is a sudden swell of new members? Do they just become the homeless dwarves of the city? My thought, though it will be a pain in the ass, is to have multiple housing areas across the city. They don't all have to be exactly like the atrium. They can all have their own little appeal to them. But that way, it's more like a real city in that there are multiple places to live that are all different, and we don't have a homeless dwarf problem.

For the tower, maybe have it a little wider than the current design with the water/lava thing, and have a spiral staircase going up the inside with the water/lava thing remaining in the center. Just some thoughts. I know both my ideas here would require A LOT of work to execute, but hey, the city's come this far.

Kingbraces10

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:31 am

I was thinking with the tower we remove the water and have the spiral staircase around a pillar of lava???

Multiple housing areas is an option... perhaps we can build one into the side of a ravine, as was one of the ideas. We won't have to worry about that for a while though... we've all been homeless for months (or almost 30 years minecraft time ifI remember Correctly)
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:58 pm

Well, the idea of the tower... I decided to do something on it.

I don't think it practical we put a staircase inside it. Both for space reasons, and getting in, so it can just be a tower in the middle... Perhaps from the top floor we can have an entry that lets us go up higher.

All I really did was put up a quarter of a level in cobblestone, from bottom to middle floor. There are gaps in the cobble where i'm thinking we could put iron bars, and reduce the water flowing down into just some lava. This isn't final, so if people don't like it (final material not cobble), feel free to tell me it's shit and we can remove it Smile
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:29 pm

Ok I'm being annoying and changing my mind, after looking at the top floor housing I'd actually quite like one Razz, they're very well designed and I've got loads of ideas. That being said, I know I said I was fine with a lower floor apartment, so I'm only going to take one if there's one spare. I've put my name on the dirt wall thing by the entrance, but if it comes down to an actual picking situation, leave me out of it and i'l stay in my cozy bottom floor home Smile

3rdi

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:41 pm

That's quite alright. I haven't made it on to look at the board recently, how many want one? I think I'll get digging more next time
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  sret Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:30 pm

I think anyone randomly getting a top floor apartment would feel a bit odd and give the impression that they're somehow better or more important than the rest. I'd prefer to see them left empty but at the same time that defeats the purpose of having them if we're actually going to "live" in apartments. It just bugs me for some reason.
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:41 pm

it's just me and trainman

3rdi

Back to top Go down

Post  sret Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:24 pm

Did you even read what I wrote? lol
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:19 pm

I did, but seeing as you didn't actually say conclusively whether you thought people should live in them or not, I didn't quite know what to say XD and seeing as nobody else wants them I don't see the harm in moving in, if there's competition for them, then that's a completely different thing.

3rdi

Back to top Go down

Post  sret Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:42 am

Meh. I don't like it, but I'll accept it if I have to =P
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:48 am

This was the point I raised at the beginning to do with the apartments, and why I voted to have normal size apartments. It's been designed as it has now, however, it's not too late to change our minds (just a bit more work). Having them uninhabited perhaps we could do basic decoration to them all working together. I know what you mean though sret... I'm fine with it, but I can see where you're coming from
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:17 am

it's not that I can't see where he's coming from, it's more a case of nobody particularly caring about the apartments. People aren't on that much, and when they are, they are working on the city as a whole, not their individual apartments, I think my house is the most 'complete' house, and it's only got part of the roof done, most people haven't even touched the apartments they've claimed. It would be different if the introduction of them had caused a massive surge in people coming online in order to make their apartments better than everyone else's, but people seem pretty unconcerned. In this circumstance, the size of the apartment doesn't really matter, in fact many people (usually me as well) like working with small spaces. If you're that uncomfortable about it, and can posit an actual solution to your perceived problem, I'l be happy to listen, as it is, I don't view the apartments as a very big thing, and I'd just like a bigger space to work with. Remember we can also build other housing areas.

3rdi

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:11 am

Either way no one will be claiming the upper floor ones until all are dug. I will get on this afternoon if I can and get digging... Come join me if you can, it's been ages since I've seen a lot of you (time zones suck). Anywhere from 3am GMT till 10am GMT
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  sret Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:06 am

I usually don't have a problem being on at those times but unfortunately that will rarely happen anymore. Also, in case you missed it, I posted about being unable to play at all for the next few weeks. =<
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:51 am

Yeah, I did see that... At least you can still be here Wink it was an offer for everyone though Smile
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:26 am

3rdi wrote:it's not that I can't see where he's coming from, it's more a case of nobody particularly caring about the apartments. People aren't on that much, and when they are, they are working on the city as a whole, not their individual apartments, I think my house is the most 'complete' house, and it's only got part of the roof done, most people haven't even touched the apartments they've claimed. It would be different if the introduction of them had caused a massive surge in people coming online in order to make their apartments better than everyone else's, but people seem pretty unconcerned. In this circumstance, the size of the apartment doesn't really matter, in fact many people (usually me as well) like working with small spaces. If you're that uncomfortable about it, and can posit an actual solution to your perceived problem, I'l be happy to listen, as it is, I don't view the apartments as a very big thing, and I'd just like a bigger space to work with. Remember we can also build other housing areas.
I hate go against your point, but I finished my apartment a couple days ago. :3

Otherwise, I agree. Only two people seem to want the top apartments so it doesn't matter to me who gets them.
Arrowave
Arrowave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum