Dwarven City
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rare mob drops (read!)

+2
spectrumwars
Brendanan
6 posters

Go down

Rare mob drops (read!) Empty Rare mob drops (read!)

Post  Brendanan Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:11 am

Ok, as we know, we are now on 1.2

This update has many features, one of which is the 'rare mob drops'. Now, here's an easy opportunity to cheat. Just grind for a ton of rare drops. 

I can't stop you from doing this, but I will request than any rare mob drops from a spawner are destroyed. Feel free to keep what you gain from normal combat, such as cave exploring, but please don't sit at the girders to gain items. It goes very close to crossing the line of cheating in my books. 

Thanks guys Smile
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Rare mob drops (read!) Empty Re: Rare mob drops (read!)

Post  spectrumwars Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:16 am

Awww. My first post-update batch of skeletons got me 3 normal bows and one enchanted Power I bow. I immediately began making mental plans to copy this grinder design onto the old Zombie Grinder which never got used much. Iron bars! Iron helmets and tools/swords!
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:48 am

Personally, I think that as long as our grinders are mainly for drops and experience, the extra loot is fine. If we had grinders specifically for the purpose of farming tools, it might be a little cheap.
Arrowave
Arrowave

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:07 am

Bows don't matter too much. You can still use the grinders, but destroy the rare drops (I will let bows slide because they aren't too valuable). Since we don't have a grinder in use for zombies, then if people all of a sudden start using that, it's obvious they want more than just the experience, and are trying to Get huge amounts of iron an tools and armour for no work at all
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackwind Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:16 am

What if we have a GIGANTIC project? Like thousands of iron needed, what then?
Blackwind
Blackwind

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:25 am

You're being ridiculous, but then maybe. It goes close to cheating, and takes out the fun of it being legit. Instead, the dedication of mining turns into afk, play anther game for 2 hours, potion, afk, eat lunch and do dishes, potion... Rinse and repeat...

Mimodo
Admin

https://mcdwarves.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:20 am

The skeleton grinder is primarily for experience. I built it around a skeleton spawner rather than a zombie one because the drops were more useful, but we've got multiple double chests of both bones and arrows now. The drops at this point are pretty much superfluous. A few extra bows are nice, but they are still just the cherry on the top of the XP sundae. Someday I hope to use the bows to build a bunch of Dispensers as part of a project to guard the various entrances to our city with automated dispenser-based trap defenses. Or, at least, with dispensers full of arrows, splash potions, and fire charges mounted on fence posts to simulate pintle-mounted heavy weapons on the order of machine guns and grenade launchers. It'll give us something to do with all those arrows, anyways. But bows are hardly in short supply, what with the many stacks of string from our existing spider grinder, and the endless supply of wood from the tree farms and abandoned mineshafts.

The Darkroom Grinder currently in the very early stages of construction is primarily for items. Mostly we want gunpowder from creepers, who can't be safely farmed in any other way, and the other drops (arrows, bones, string, rotten flesh, rare drops) are gravy on top of the gunpowder mashed potatoes. We already have more arrows and bones than we'll ever use, our farmed food sources render rotten flesh superfluous, and string is in pleniful supply as well.

A zombie-spawner experience grinder, like the spider half of the double-grinder, would also be primarily for experience, but give us a chance to switch off which mob drops we're generating insane amounts of as a byproduct. Rotten flesh is, in my opinion, pretty useless once better food sources are available, especially since we don't have any dogs. The addition of rare drops would be quite useful, and hardly constitutes cheating. A few extra iron ingots would be useful, given how popular iron blocks have become as flooring material. Iron helmets would let us economize on iron a bit, but not much. Iron shovels are pretty superfluous, given that they are barely faster than stone shovels. I'll stick with stone shovels, but if others prefer the iron ones, fine by me. Iron swords would be nice, given the current flooring-based iron shortage and the fact that I lost my last diamond sword to a creeper explosion the other day. Stone swords may be fine for self-defense against slimes, but I really miss my diamond sword.

The rare drops are part of the vanilla game. They are no more cheating than breeding animals, experience grinders, darkroom grinders, potions, minecart stations, or enchanted tools. They are far less of a cheat than, say, the glitch boosters used to accelerate minecarts in the days before booster rails.

spectrumwars
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffewing997 Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:47 am

I think it would be nice, we've been using all our iron blocks for flooring for some strange reason. I think white wool works fine

jeffewing997

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:45 pm

These are just how I see things. I like to get items the old fashioned way... Hard work. I don't like the idea of grinders of any kind, whether darkroom, or what we have now... I used them because I couldn't ask everyone else to sacrifice the benefits of it, being a "legit" method of gameplay. None of it is "cheating", it's just something I choose not to do. 

I'll leave the final decision of this up to you guys though. I'd say don't get the zombie grinder up, just use the darkroom spawner.  
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackwind Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:43 am

spectrumwars wrote:The skeleton grinder is primarily for experience. I built it around a skeleton spawner rather than a zombie one because the drops were more useful, but we've got multiple double chests of both bones and arrows now. The drops at this point are pretty much superfluous. A few extra bows are nice, but they are still just the cherry on the top of the XP sundae. Someday I hope to use the bows to build a bunch of Dispensers as part of a project to guard the various entrances to our city with automated dispenser-based trap defenses. Or, at least, with dispensers full of arrows, splash potions, and fire charges mounted on fence posts to simulate pintle-mounted heavy weapons on the order of machine guns and grenade launchers. It'll give us something to do with all those arrows, anyways. But bows are hardly in short supply, what with the many stacks of string from our existing spider grinder, and the endless supply of wood from the tree farms and abandoned mineshafts.

The Darkroom Grinder currently in the very early stages of construction is primarily for items. Mostly we want gunpowder from creepers, who can't be safely farmed in any other way, and the other drops (arrows, bones, string, rotten flesh, rare drops) are gravy on top of the gunpowder mashed potatoes. We already have more arrows and bones than we'll ever use, our farmed food sources render rotten flesh superfluous, and string is in pleniful supply as well.

A zombie-spawner experience grinder, like the spider half of the double-grinder, would also be primarily for experience, but give us a chance to switch off which mob drops we're generating insane amounts of as a byproduct. Rotten flesh is, in my opinion, pretty useless once better food sources are available, especially since we don't have any dogs. The addition of rare drops would be quite useful, and hardly constitutes cheating. A few extra iron ingots would be useful, given how popular iron blocks have become as flooring material. Iron helmets would let us economize on iron a bit, but not much. Iron shovels are pretty superfluous, given that they are barely faster than stone shovels. I'll stick with stone shovels, but if others prefer the iron ones, fine by me. Iron swords would be nice, given the current flooring-based iron shortage and the fact that I lost my last diamond sword to a creeper explosion the other day. Stone swords may be fine for self-defense against slimes, but I really miss my diamond sword.

The rare drops are part of the vanilla game. They are no more cheating than breeding animals, experience grinders, darkroom grinders, potions, minecart stations, or enchanted tools. They are far less of a cheat than, say, the glitch boosters used to accelerate minecarts in the days before booster rails.

I agree with this, if there was + button I would press it.
Blackwind
Blackwind

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:01 am

Finally got a rare iron sword drop off a zombie. I was up by the main entrance to fix a missing iron grate I'd seen earlier, when I heard a zombie growling. Couldn't find him at first, then I saw his head glitching out of the floor. Someone had left a small compartment under the floor unlit and un-filled-in, and two zombies spawned in there. I broke it open and put them out of their claustrophobic misery, and got an iron sword for my trouble. It's now in the weapons chest in the warehouse.
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum