Dwarven City
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extending the store room!

+3
Splated
Dr. Steel
3rdi
7 posters

Go down

Extending the store room! Empty Extending the store room!

Post  3rdi Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Much as I hate to start a new project, I would like to suggest some improvements I feel we should make to the storeroom, our city's growing, and while the current storeroom suits our needs at the moment, it could be improved.

I'm suggesting that we add a second level to the storeroom. The first layer would remain much unchanged, we would keep all the stuff people constantly use down there, but stuff more rarely used could be moved upstairs to make way for a section or two more, my main thought here is a seprate tunnel for cobble.

Obviously, with the ability to extend back sections as far as we like, we don't need many more of them, so what else is the purpose of the second level, I hear you ask? First of all, we could use the opportunity to make some aesthetic improvements to the room, the second level could be a cut away balcony instead of a completely enclosed floor, for instance. Either the library or the notice bord could be moved up there, to make more room for whichever one isn't moved. Additionally we could move the minilab up, and in the space where it now occupies have a drop off point for the dark, mob spawning room we're looking for a place to implement, the room would obviously be nearby. I think the amount of time people spend in the storeroom would make this worth while, people are constantly popping in and out, or within mob spawning distance of the room, and so the loot could be constantly harvested, with as little going to waste as possible, now you have something to do while waiting for your ores to cook!

Anyways, this is hardly a high priority thing, just my thoughts, anyone have an opinion?

3rdi

Back to top Go down

Extending the store room! Empty Re: Extending the store room!

Post  Dr. Steel Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Perhaps we should double the height of the current room and add pathways around so you can reach the upper chests?
Something like this? (side view, done in Notepad with unicode characters)
Extending the store room! TEjO9
☒ = chest
║ = wall
╘ = path with left side fenced off
Anyway, your idea sounds nice.

Dr. Steel

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:15 pm

I love that idea, we can expand up or down. we can even just stack the chests higher also and have a upper walkway to reach the chests.

I'll make an example in the hall of crafts its shorter hall.
Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:30 pm

I have to say, that idea sounds better Smile

3rdi

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Looks cool. Rather impractical.

1.) So, some stuff in a hall will be one half-full chest only accessible from the bottom floor, while other stuff will have the entire bottom floor filled to capacity, while the "active" chest for putting more stuff in will be up on the second floor?
2.) Each hall will have an upper level which you can't easily cross from one side to the other?

How about instead, we have a "deep storage" vault, for the stuff we're accumulating in massive quantities, but are unlikely to ever use, yet reluctant to just toss into lava. Maybe have a short special-purpose cart line connecting it to main storage, for use with storage carts to bring a chestful at a time of overflow into the deep storage vault.
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:39 pm

I've had the idea of doing something with the store room for some time. I think that we definitely leave it till later though

Mimodo
Admin

https://mcdwarves.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Maybe do both? Have deep, practical storage then make great arching halls with decorative chests on the second floor, and only actually use the first floor chests.

3rdi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:03 am

Sounds even better Smile and when 1.2 comes out, we can do more with roofs Very Happy

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffewing997 Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 am

I like the deep storeroom with a special track for it. I like the storeroom as it is now, I don't really want to extend it a huge amount more, especially for the cobble part

jeffewing997

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:00 am

I thought that mobs did not drop items unless you actually hurt them?

requiemmc

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:20 am

jeffewing997 wrote:I like the deep storeroom with a special track for it. I like the storeroom as it is now, I don't really want to extend it a huge amount more, especially for the cobble part

I agree do we really need to expand the store room in this way?

if anything I think we need a proper store room in the mine. or above it somewhere where we can store items.

At the moment when branch mining i have a small base that i have to move every now and then which consists of 1 bed a chest a workbench and 2 furnaces.

every couple of days i empty out the chest and move everything back to the store room but it takes a few trips. just to move the cobble.

We still want to store the cobble why not save time and store it in a room above the mines somewhere?

Major projects should have their own Temp storage maybe up to 6 or 9 chests

Perhaps cobble will not be that much of a problem once we have the forge up and running we can convert cobble into stone bricks to build/decorate with later.

either that or we really need to come up with more projects to build things on the surface to use up the cobble we generate.

requiemmc

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:03 am

how bout we make a cobble storage on the level above? at the end of the cobble tunnel, we put a ladder, with an area just for cobble (we've got a good 35-40 or even more chests full).

This can be temporary, and later we can focus on a) an elaborate store room design, perhaps multi-level, to replace the current store room, and b) a functional store room. Although a functional store room, to me, is having the items where they are needed, so, like req said, small bases near projects

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:55 am

requiemmc wrote:I thought that mobs did not drop items unless you actually hurt them?

Depends on the mob and the item in question.

Nothing drops XP orbs unless hit by a player, an arrow or potion fired by a player, dying of fire damage from a flaming arrow or Fire Aspect sword, or from fall damage after the last thing they touched before going splat was getting hit by a player or a player-fired projectile. Dispenser-fired arrows and potions don't count.

Giant Spiders and Cave Spiders don't drop Spider Eyes unless killed by a player or a player action as above. They do drop string regardless of how they die.

Skeletons drop bones and arrows, creepers drop gunpowder, zombies drop rotten flesh, blazes drop rods, slimes drop slimeballs, magma cubes drop magma cream, and passive mobs drop meat/feathers/leather/inksacs regardless of how they die. I think Ghasts drop tears and gunpowder regardless of how they die, but since about the only way they CAN get killed other than by a player is to drown in lava, the drops are probably destroyed then in any case.

Creepers only drop music discs when killed by a skeleton arrow. It doesn't matter how else they took damage, the final blow must be the skeleton arrow.

The main purpose of an item grinder would be to generate and kill creepers for their gunpowder. We've got on-demand sources of most other useful item drops (two skeleton-spawner XP grinders for bones and arrows, a blaze-spawner suffocation grinder in the Nether, a zombie-spawner XP grinder for flesh, the animal pens in the farms for passive-mob drops, even a spider-spawner grinder now). But the skeleton, spider, and zombie grinders consume lots of gunpowder in the form of splash potions.

We could, if we wish, use anti-spider spawning pads coupled with an exposed-to-sunlight mob holding pen to gather batches of creepers from a darkroom grinder to be killed en masse via a fall. But that only works during the day. And having large numbers of creepers in one place is dangerous...all it takes is one glitching skeleton to suddenly think it sees one of us to fire an arrow, hit and anger a creeper, and then boom, the mob holding/release mechanism is blown up. We should definitely make the holding chamber out of obsidian.
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:08 pm

We have skeletons... Why not a record farm? Yes, it is possible, and if you haven't heard of it, I'll give an explanation when I'm no longer on my phone. I know EXACTLY how to safely implement it

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Brendanan wrote:We have skeletons... Why not a record farm? Yes, it is possible, and if you haven't heard of it, I'll give an explanation when I'm no longer on my phone. I know EXACTLY how to safely implement it

I can think of several ways to make it work. Worth trying out, if only as an exercise in seeing if we can build it.
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:36 am

As long as we got a skele spawner, then we're set. And I know we hit some of them :p

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down