Dwarven City
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mine Cart System

+4
Mimodo
spectrumwars
3rdi
Splated
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Type of track system

Mine Cart System - Page 2 I_vote_lcap60%Mine Cart System - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 60% 
[ 3 ]
Mine Cart System - Page 2 I_vote_lcap40%Mine Cart System - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 40% 
[ 2 ]
Mine Cart System - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Mine Cart System - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

Mine Cart System - Page 2 Empty Re: Mine Cart System

Post  spectrumwars Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:30 am

Brendanan wrote:What i'd want is a simple destination selector to start. Having to hit buttons along the way defeats the point of a minecart ride, where you have the chance to sort your inventory, and eat some food, and talk to people.

Agreed. But there are two basic ways to do that.

The first is to have completely separate tracks. Which is a waste of track if they can be put in a line.

The second is to have a crapload of redstone wire connecting the station you start at with a junction somewhere further down the track. Which is gonna be one heck of a headache to time properly, lest you end up switching tracks for someone else.

Our current system has one fatal flaw. We're trying to keep the carts moving. Better than a button to stop, would be a station where every minecart to come along has to stop...but can instantly start up again at the press of a button to keep going, or swipe the cart with your sword to get out. The main objection is that this is difficult to make work for unoccupied carts, or for multiple carts close together. Well, we already have a system that no longer works for unoccupied carts. And any track-switching system, even the current one, is gonna have trouble with carts close together.

Besides, not working for multiple carts close together is a complete non-issue for a default-stop station system. You're gonna stop at that station anyways. Even if you get bumped and stop just short of the booster rail, what happens? You gotta stand up and put the cart back on the track...right at a station designed to make it easy to put the cart on the track, get in, and push a button to get going.

Brendanan wrote:A track to the surface is not necessary at all. Just a waste of track.

Agreed, but a track stop at a ladder or other shortcut to the surface is not an entirely bad idea, if there's something else there worth stopping for.

I've been toying with the idea of suggesting we put the main cart hub at the Dome Stop in the old storeroom, rather than in place of the current "hub" stop between the mine tunnel and the new storeroom. That way we could have two lines. One is basically the line we got already, and would go from the Throne Room up alongside the main tunnel via the Dome Stop up to either the surface, or towards future expansion of facilities nearer the surface entrance. The other would go at right angles, and would have stops at the back end of the Portal Room near the Wizarding Workshop, at the Dome, at the farm, and at the Tree Farm, also serving the Skeleton XP Grinder. Both the farm tunnel and the Portal Room tunnel are rather long to walk.

spectrumwars
spectrumwars

http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:38 am

portal room tunnel isnt that long... exp grinder is though...

I'll leave it up to you as to what is easiest, and most gold efficient

Mimodo
Admin

https://mcdwarves.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:23 am

I don't know who is building most of the rail system, but I was wondering if anyone had any objections to me cleaning up the track tunnels, I've been doing the one between the city and the mine for the past couple of days, and want to do a similar thing in the rest of the tunnels, I don't know too much about how the stops/junctions work, so i'd probably leave those well alone XD

3rdi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:10 am

Just be aware that those tunnels need to be able to move

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:28 am

Hi All

Can we please change the station outside the storage room to remove the row of stop buttons?

I have a significant amount of lag which renders the current system unusable.

I can get the the mine quite easy since its just hop in and press a button but coming back i always find myself at the farm no matter how many times I try and hit those buttons.

and I suspect that most people are going to want to stop at the storage room not continue on to the mines when they travel from the farms.

On a positive note a think that a central station is a good idea but what is wrong with having it next door to the throne room and store rooms?

requiemmc

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Same problem with buttons here

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:18 pm

3rdi wrote:I don't know who is building most of the rail system, but I was wondering if anyone had any objections to me cleaning up the track tunnels, I've been doing the one between the city and the mine for the past couple of days, and want to do a similar thing in the rest of the tunnels, I don't know too much about how the stops/junctions work, so i'd probably leave those well alone XD

I'm building the rail system feel free to clean it up.
The track between the mine and the store room looks amazing. but before you do too much work I want to lower and straiten the track from the store room to the dome to avoid a lot of the lava in the halls.

As for the store room station i think it will make a good central hub.

As of now it will have 2 destinations Dome and mine.
The track selector I made should work well and it very expandable.
Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:44 pm

I started building the new selector system it works really cool. Its complex but very compact.

I also started expanding the train depot to make more space. i did a temporary fix for the launcher and track exit As i work on the new tracks.

i have a working example in the train depot.

Any idea how many destinations will will want to start with?

I also dug a new tunnel from the store room station right to the dome station. I managed to cut throughout a new mine shaft too.
Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:58 am

How hard to add more destinations later?

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:56 pm

The hub was updated so i updated this post too.
Updated OP

I would like to build a new station some were between the tree farm and the atrium.
Maybe we can build a stair case from the lower hallway to the tree farm and put the station midway?

Mine Cart System - Page 2 2012-03-07_13.05.39
the new cool looking hub buttons. This button pattern can be repeated until we run out of room, or can't fit any more tracks. If need be, we can squeeze more buttons in the same space but it gets way more complex on the track side.

Mine Cart System - Page 2 2012-03-07_13.05.49
I will try to make all future cart stations look like this, Unless someone want to decorate it more.

its 3x3x3 +2 blocks above and below needed for tracks, +3 blocks behind for piston and wires and +1 block on one side for the return track turn.

At Track stations The Chest in the center will store 1-2 carts MAX!, and any items needing to be returned to the store room..

The Main hubs chest, only holds carts and all extras should be returned here.

If we all get in the habit of returning extra carts to the hub, we should have a nice supply ready for use.
Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:18 am

Great map, and I LOVE what you are doing with the tracks. I still think that we delay the building of the atrium stop, as we aren't even close to finishing the housing yet though. Great map too
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:01 pm

atrium stop is now open!
Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:25 am

Awesome... Nice work Wink