Dwarven City
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So what did YOU do today?

+14
31trainman
Brendanan
Lorpius Prime
SDIAN(SD1AN)
jeffewing997
Mimodo
Splated
Dr. Steel
sret
requiemmc
Blackwind
Arrowave
3rdi
spectrumwars
18 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

So what did YOU do today? - Page 20 Empty Re: So what did YOU do today?

Post  sret Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Do we really not have enough enchanted picks by now? Perhaps we should start planning the use of our diamonds and only make new picks to enchant when we know they will have a purpose. I mean wasn't the original idea to get a fortune and silk touch pick to get those extra ores and be able to silk touch stuff when needed, and then to save the rest of our diamonds for decoration blocks? Now we just keep on making pick after pick seemingly for the hell of it.
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:13 pm

that is true... We have 2 silk touch picks, as well as multiple fortune picks... I don't think we need to be bothered making any more
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Brendanan wrote:that is true... We have 2 silk touch picks, as well as multiple fortune picks... I don't think we need to be bothered making any more

We slowed down the making of them when we thought we had an ample surplus...and then we lost several of them to accidents in quick succession, and we were almost out again. Now we're back with a comfortable surplus, but better a couple extra than not having them when we need them. I am cutting down on the XP grinding a bit, personally, but I still feel the need to do a session every time I see my XP level climbing into the teens, as I feel it's better to go grind up to 50 and use them, than to lose them to some stupid construction accident or spelunking mishap. And when I do grind, I feel more community-minded making diamond picks for general use than making diamond swords or super-enchanted bows primarily for my personal use.

Today I went into the item grinder to work on the final room, only to discover that others had pretty much finished it. Unfortunately, they had left the space above the ceiling unlit and open to the outside world, so it was infested with skeletons. Luckily no creepers, or it could have gotten messy. I installed a dirt ceiling at lake level with a few pumpkin lights, to match the rest of the gravel-filled areas.

I dug out the last section of wall inside the chamber and installed the temporary pumpkin-based lighting placeholders. The standard lighting pattern has proved not quite as complete in its coverage as I'd originally thought, so I held off on replacing them with actual redstone lamps or wiring them up just yet. We should probably use this final chamber as a test bed for a possible in-floor rather than in-ceiling lighting system, which should be a bit more efficient, if also a lot more difficult to install. I'll work on that tomorrow night, or someone else can give it a shot in the meantime.

Other than that, the item grinder is nearly complete. Now all we really need to do is install piston doors in most of the chambers for cleaning/maintenance inspections, and emergency escape hatches (lever-actuated iron or piston doors) near the mouths of the outflow canals for any poor dwarves who accidentally fall into the canals during cleaning, as there is no current provision for getting out other than pillaring up with blocks. That all falls under the heading of creating the control room, which is envisioned to be a sort of circular room surrounding the central pit, with access doors, lighting controls, and observation chambers for all four chambers...and perhaps for the central drop pit as well. Maybe even a perch from which to snipe at mobs as they go over the edge into the pit, with a quick-access ladder down to the bottom to collect the XP orbs. This control room should be better decorated than the actual chambers, which have walls full of ugly undressed cobble due to the fact that they spend 99% of the time sealed off and pitch-dark inside.

After working on the grinder a bit, I had been planning to go chop wood in the tree farm, as I'd noticed the other day that we were running low on wood in the warehouse. However, apparently someone else beat me to it, so instead I just spent a few minutes putting away some of the junk people had been leaving in the quick-dump chest.
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  31trainman Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:46 pm

I went and looked at the new banners and chandeliers, I like how the new chandeliers look. The banners look ok.

31trainman

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:39 pm

I logged on a bit this morning to work on designing a floor-based lighting system for the item grinder chambers. Unfortunately, the combo of the corners of two chambers coming together plus the need to leave room for piston-door wiring put the kibosh on my original plans. So now I've come up with a hybrid system with ceiling-embedded lights over the lowest row of spawning platforms in each chamber, but floor-embedded lights for the other 4 rows of platforms. I Installed a hair under half of the system in one darkroom chamber, but then I broke into a partially-explored cave system, with multiple dark tunnel entrances near where I broke in. I didn't have the time or energy to explore them, and the wiring trunks will not be easily accessible once finished, so I left it open and logged off for the afternoon. I'll work on it some more tonight, hopefully.

Meanwhile, the Trainman has been working on the ring corridor where the lighting controls, piston doors, and over-canal observation blisters will be.
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  31trainman Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:05 am

I helped spectrum wars by working on building the grinders inside ring hallway and areas where the piston doors will be.

31trainman

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:29 am

I tried to decorate the wall behind the banners in the throne room. I'm not satisfied yet with my last attempt but I left it there. I hope one of you guys can come up with something better.

The banners look good. I just think it needs to look more attached to something. I think I have an idea for this but I'm not sure if it will look right.

Edit* I added said detail and it looks interesting.
Arrowave
Arrowave

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:44 am

They were touching the wall, but it looks better when it's hanging like it is
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:44 am

Sorry for the delay in posting... Been out a lot... 

Anyway, I've forgotten most of what I did, but I do still have an update to the diaries of an adventuring dwarf. 

So it started out when trainman31 was mining and said he hit a cavern. Jumping at the opportunity, I flew down to the store room, threw on a set of armour, picked up my bow with some provisions for the trip, and went exploring the caves. 

To start with, it was just a partially explored mineshaft, which still gave some decent profits. Little did I know that trainman had followed me into the mineshaft, without any armour, and still stacked with the spoils of his mining trip. 

BOOM! Only 10 blocks away from me, trainman is blown to bits. (that's how I know he was loaded up). So I threw his stuff in a chest (which I brought along for just that purpose), and kept moving. 

With a fortune pickaxe on me, the coal count in my inventory kept climbing.

Eventually I ended up leaving the mineshafts as the opened up into some large caves, which gave some good exploring times. Unfortunately, I had to leave, so I set up a chest, and deposited many stacks of coal, along with some other valuables. 

Many hours of exploring later, gathering all sorts of resources, I came to a cave spider spawner, and had a near death experience, surviving with but half a heart left. Terrified by my ordeal, I quickly hid myself, blocking up the gaps in the fences with gravel, before making myself a bed and a chest, throwing my 18 diamonds, as well as more valuable stuff (and probably a few stacks of coal). 

I managed to eliminate that spawner without death, and I kept going as normal, emerging into a ravine. 

Many fun times, killing mobs with a stone sword. My power IV bow was useless as my stack of arrows was depleted within half an hour. I'd collected from about 5 or 6 different chests along the way, and left behind a double chest, and a single chest, before I realized I was running low on wood. 

Horrified at my discovery, I took the next waterfall flowing through the ravine as an elevator out of the caved which had kept me occupied for hours... To find myself in the middle of an ocean. Fortunately, in the distance I saw a small plot of land, so I set off. 

The sun was setting as I washed up on the lonely beach, with a cow staring at me with a dumb expression on its face. 

With no time left to recover, i instantly set to work building a shelter, but alas, I was too slow! A skeleton jumped over the walls, and I slew him with my bare hands as my sword was broken. I refused to give in, not after so long. 

Desperately trying to finish off the shelter, I threw blocks up as fast as I could... But not fast enough to stop the creeper jumping in, and exploding in my face, leaving me one heart. 

With a quick change of plans, I pillared I threw blocks under me like no tomorrow, until I was out of reach of skeletons, where I waited out the lonely night, atop a cold cobblestone pillar, the undead howling from down below. 

Come morning, I realized how far from home I really was. I knew my chances of making it back were slim, so I continued the construction of the shelter, and set up a little base of operations, looking to gather the necessary supplies to make it home alive. 

3 days later I made the decision it was time to leave. I abandoned the survivor's hut, and left for home, over the vast seas... 

Less than a day later, I arrived home, laden with treasure enough to be seen as an adequate haul for a complete spelunking trip, yet my real treasures were still sitting in a chest in the caves, awaiting a brave soul to navigate the depths of the earth in their search. 

Ok, so I fail at writing... Give me a break :p I'll put up the cords for those chests later... There is at least 10 stacks of coal... I ended up using half of a fortune pick, as well as over a stack of arrows and 32 logs in that trip... Gained 18 levels just from mobs
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:51 am

Nice post Bren,

I did quite a bit of farm tending over the weekend lots of the sheep pens were down to only 2 sheep
1 only had a single sheep left.

I've bred up the sheep to increase their numbers a little so they don't all die out.
I know we are going to move the farms soon but its easier to move a flock of sheep that are the right colour to the new pens that starting the whole farm from scratch.

I did not worry about the pigs or cows they seems to be plenty of them.

I also spent a quite some time in the tree farm since we were completely out of wood.

other than that I've extended the trunk and end tunnels so they are 200 blocks deep i might keep going a bit further until I reach a nice round cord number maybe 1000 which would make the trunk tunnel around 400 long.

Then switch over to the other side and work on that tunnel until we reach 0 maybe

requiemmc

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:44 am

That's a long tunnel :p
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Steel Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:12 am

Whoops, sorry!
Forgot to mention I already picked up the stuff.

Also, you were about 50 blocks away from the mining tunnel entrance at sea!

Dr. Steel

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:15 am

Oh wow... There is another chest with a bed near it unless you found that too
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  sret Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:46 am

Nice story, sounds like a lot of fun, gotta love adventures like that. Smile

And good job on not dying.
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:52 am

That second chest (which snate didn't have the cords of)

-824, 24, 1492

The survivor's hut... which is set up, but doesn't actually have anything useful... more of just a milestone for me
-863, 65, 1671
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:51 am

Well, I have finished installing a new floor-centric lighting system in the fourth darkroom chamber. We still need piston doors for it, and the whole ring corridor needs aesthetic improvements. Now that the darkrooms themselves are pretty much complete, however, I'm tempted to just leave the original lighting system in the other four chambers, as it works well enough for cleaning inspections.

I also finished exploring, exploiting, and lighting up the darkened tunnels I saw in that cave, and figured out which cave it is, so I can easily get back there if need be.
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Steel Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Brendanan wrote:That second chest (which snate didn't have the cords of)

-824, 24, 1492

Been there, done that :3

Dr. Steel

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:54 am

You managed to find the other one??? Nice work Very Happy
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:46 am

I thought I'd post this here instead of making an entirely new thread.

I will be gone from tomorrow until the beginning of next week. I haven't been on the server much lately anyways but I thought I still let you guys know.

Once I get back and everything settles down I do want to start to play on the server more often.
Arrowave
Arrowave

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:03 pm

been clearing out the tunnels and caves that we broke into at the mines

I even manager to work my way up to the surface and see Bren's little survivors hut then spent some time laying some of the cart tracks i harvested out of the abandoned mines along the trunk line since its getting to be a bit of a walk now to get back to the main line of the mine.

brought back a storage cart plus my on INV full of stuff to the store room.

Currently im working on building up the cow population so i can make some replacement armor.

requiemmc

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:40 am

I'm always working on cows :p

Now, since this is the most active thread, I'll say it here... I am not going to have the chance to be on the server much for a while due to an extremely hectic life, so just keep plodding on as you are. Please don't start some new big project. As soon as sret replies to me, I will have a new thread up about finishing the housing, which I want everyone to be active in Smile I will still be active on the forums for now though
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:37 am

I finally got back home and am actually able to play on the server again. Today I got on and did a little more work on the walls of the Throne Room. I am trying to incorporate our little city emblem into the walls more. Other than that I also thought up a little more back-story to the banners in the Throne Room. I was thinking that each banner could be the flag for each various Dwarven clans. These clans wouldn't mean anything to us but they do make the banners seem more logical.

Lastly I wanted to check on the Lapis Crystal Situation. We should really focus on agreeing on a design and completing it so we can move on and take down that unsightly scaffolding. I personally like the current design a lot but others seem to disagree.
Arrowave
Arrowave

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:39 am

I like the current design, but am unsure of it.... I will later remove all the scaffolding to see what it looks like without it, then we can decide
Brendanan
Brendanan

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:42 am

I finally went on and did some spelunking in the abandoned mineshaft off the Atrium. I got thoroughly lost, but tossed around about six stacks of torches. I finally wandered back out via the tree farm exit. There are at LEAST three complete interconnected abandoned mineshaft structures in there, as that's how many central dirt-floored rooms I blundered across. I smashed one cave spider spawner, collected 58 iron, 14 gold, and two diamonds I found in a chest.
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:03 am

Spent some more time at the tree farm followed by some time striping the mine behind the atrium

requiemmc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum