Dwarven City
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some city idea pics

+6
Dr. Steel
Arrowave
phflack
sret
spectrumwars
Splated
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Some city idea pics Empty Some city idea pics

Post  Splated Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi all I'm new, and hoping to join you soon.

I tried to do a similar idea on my own server I came up with a city plain you may like.
heres a screen shot.
Some city idea pics Levels
looking down the pit, keep in mind this city is only about 2 weeks old and was done 99% legit (had to add trees with /give its in a mushroom biome).
I had some help with the initial digging but I did most of the work.

I took a good sized Mountain I cut a huge door way and hollowed it out making a circular floor with a diameter of 40 blocks. Then I carved a dome roof with a skylight. In the center of the room I dug a circular pit with a diameter of 20 blocks down until it was about 20ish blocks from bedrock.

The bottom of the pit was covered with dirt and became the tree farm.

Then I started digging out the levels each about 7 block hight. The idea was each level was a different job

I ended up with 9 levels the plain was:
Level 1: Administration, town hall, kings throne room, guard barracks.
Level 2: Rich Houses, Fancy large homes carved in the walls
Level 3: Poor houses, the slum area
Level 4: Social area kitchens / bars
Level 5:Magic Level, nether portal, alchemy, and enchanting
Level 6:Live stock pens, for all the captured animals
Level 7:Trees and food farms
Level 8:Storage room
Level 9:Mine level

Changes I would make:
The circular shape was a huge pain to work with, if I where to do it again, I would use an octagon shape.

Also the stairs where carved out of one, of the flat spots and was a waste of wall space. I would like to make the levels spiral down making stairs down in the north and south flat sides.

The open center made it feel more open but it was a lot of wasted space, I think adding suspended platforms would look cool and add more growing space, especially if the open area between the rings had skylight access.

Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Some city idea pics Empty Re: Some city idea pics

Post  spectrumwars Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:37 pm

That is frackin' awesome! I think it would be really cool to do something like that from bedrock level to the peak of the highest mountain we can find. I'm not sure if this is what we should do with the dwarf city, I think our plans so far are more for a rabbit-warren of tunnels and chambers, but if we ever build a satellite city or "Dwarven Suburb Project", that's what we should do with it.
spectrumwars
spectrumwars

http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Some city idea pics City2

I was board here at work and had an idea about having a waterfall fall through suspended farming platforms, So I made one to test. I think it needs to be bigger but this is just a test.

I tried to make it look like its hanging from chains. it sorta worked
Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Post  sret Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:58 pm

Satellite city?? Whatever that is, I love the name of it!

Like spectrum said, we will probably not use this for our original city but hopefully we'll find room for something similar in the future. We've thought about adding on more cities once the first is done, maybe this can be the basic idea for a sister-city.

Meanwhile, it looks like you have the creative designing mind we need for the project. I always envy people with these talents. Smile
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  phflack Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:37 pm

seems like my house design for survival, it's small above ground hut with a glass roof and floor, and stairs down to a hollowed out pyramid Very Happy

phflack

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:30 am

I really like how the waterfall eventually fell to hydrate the wheat farm. Things like that will make the city flow.
Arrowave
Arrowave

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:29 pm

I was experimenting and I was able to build a piston door closer that works on a 4x4 door way I think it could work with any hight, Most of the wires are hidden.

Some city idea pics Doors

After more playing I got a 4x7 door with a curved top working.
Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Post  sret Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:59 pm

That's really nice, things like that might come in handy.
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Steel Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:17 pm

You could also use this one, it's really compact :>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DyK4cPVPU

Dr. Steel

Back to top Go down

Post  sret Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Wow, that's a ton of wiring. =o
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:46 am

I have some new stuff to share

Some city idea pics Newdoor
Was able to install the new door system on my server.

Some city idea pics Doorwires
The door controls and the wires I couldn't hide.

Some city idea pics Throne
and my new throne room Razz
Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackwind Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:45 am

I wish I could build that well.
Blackwind
Blackwind

Back to top Go down

Post  sret Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:55 am

Me too, wow!
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nostalgicleaf Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:16 am

All of these are really quite good! I like the idea of larger doorways especially at the entrance, though the bulk of wiring and facade to hide everything tends to increase sharply with door size, so having two 4x4 doors within 4 blocks of each other becomes impractical.

Maybe the entry way could be setup like my diagram. Blue door is the door that is more or less flush with the mountain side. Green doors would close in the vestibule which as mentioned could be flooded with lava very easily. It would be even more awesome if the lava flows were hidden in the various pillars in the room!

Some city idea pics Dwarf_10

I guess we really have to ask the question, are these doors/defenses going to be practical (ie. fend off mob attacks) or just because they are incredibly awesome. If the former is the case the 2x2 shutters I made will do the job and likely won't even be needed. I did the dwarven challenge back in beta, dug a 4x4 tunnel straight to bedrock and started carving out my new home. No doors, no traps. In months of playing I had only once a single sheep wander a mere 1/4th of the way down. Got lucky and tamed a wolf the first night, so he was parked by the opening at the bottom. Poor thing nearly suffered an aneurysm due to prodigious amounts of boredom.

nostalgicleaf

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:24 am

I like the way that you had the door so it isn't actually flush... It makes it look better. The only problem is... Our entrance tunnel is going to be MUCH larger than that. You've got the height at about what we're going for, but not the width

Mimodo
Admin

https://mcdwarves.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nostalgicleaf Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:56 am

Piston doors wider than 4 blocks become very difficult to build and begin to exceed several hundred cubic meters in size. You just about need the whole blasted mountain just to hide the redstone. A sticky piston will only retract 1 block. So in order to have a door larger than 5 blocks in any direction requires complicated systems of pistons to move the blocks away without breaking horribly.

SNIP: This part about pistons retracting was wrong, and incoherent and not even applicable to a doorway.

This is a 5x5 door. It's huge. There aren't any videos or pictures I can find of a larger one that doesn't use sand or gravel.

I'm not just out to poo poo this stuff. I just want to make sure our priorities are realistic and attainable. Between splated and I we can have tall 4 wide doors in rows opening and closing all day long. 6 wide or larger doors? Is all the time to design really worth it?

Last edited by nostalgicleaf on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I CAN BE DENSE SOMETIMES)

nostalgicleaf

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:07 am

Splated wrote:I have some new stuff to share
and my new throne room Razz
Your idea builds are pretty impressive. I can't wait to see what you do when building the final thing.
Arrowave
Arrowave

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Brendanan wrote:I like the way that you had the door so it isn't actually flush... It makes it look better. The only problem is... Our entrance tunnel is going to be MUCH larger than that. You've got the height at about what we're going for, but not the width

I'll see what i can do but I'm not sure if I can get 3 pistons to all push each other like that.

How big is the main door?
Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Automated chicken coop idea
Some city idea pics Chicken

Its a 5x8 room with 2 water dropping pistons in the corners, Normally with a roof.

Theres a 2x2 window with fences blocking the way, The farmer stands on the stone plates releasing the water and shooting eggs from the dispenser, (about 1 egg a sec).

All the chickens and eggs are washed to the farmer, and the farmer can easily kill chickens. Everything can be gather through the fence. Then eggs are placed in the dispenser, and feathers and meat are off to the kitchens.

a simular idea could be used for the other animals with out the dispenser, pushing sheep and wool towards the farmer for shearing without risking escapes.

Or one long fence with a row of water pistons pushing the animals toward the fences for feeding and harvesting.
Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:42 am

I was going to post a video of a design for a 3X3 piston door, but you have to have been a member for more than 7 days.
Arrowave
Arrowave

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:55 am

I think that at some points it would be cool to have piston doors in the city. I recreated this door after watching a lets play. Only a video shows how this door really is.
Arrowave
Arrowave

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:04 am

Perhaps we could have the piston door for the shortcut route that I created... With a hidden button

Mimodo
Admin

https://mcdwarves.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Some city idea pics Lavamoat
Heres a mockup of the lava moat i had in mind. I goofed and made the door 9 wide but the platform will be a 4 by 4.
Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Post  nostalgicleaf Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:01 pm

That lava moat looks good. Is that model to scale with what the entrance looks like now? Seems to me it is. It really is the most practical thing we can build over a large opening to keep mobs out.

nostalgicleaf

Back to top Go down

Post  sret Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:27 pm

I like that lava moat too.
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content