Dwarven City
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Map of the city

+5
Muckdog
sret
spectrumwars
requiemmc
Mimodo
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Map of the city - Page 3 Empty Re: Map of the city

Post  Dr. Steel Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:54 pm

And here, something about that cave thing.
I am fairly sure a plain round/elliptical cave would look very boring, so why not make it look like something like this?
Map of the city - Page 3 Cave3q

Dr. Steel

Back to top Go down

Post  sret Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:04 pm

That would make it a hundred times cooler in my opinion. Hard to pull off though and make it look good.
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Steel Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:21 pm

sret wrote:That would make it a hundred times cooler in my opinion. Hard to pull off though and make it look good.

Seems easier than drawing it detailed, though Razz

Dr. Steel

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Dr. Steel wrote:And here, something about that cave thing.
I am fairly sure a plain round/elliptical cave would look very boring, so why not make it look like something like this?
Map of the city - Page 3 Cave3q

it reminds me of gollum island from the hobbit cartoon
Splated
Splated

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Steel Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Splated wrote:
Dr. Steel wrote:And here, something about that cave thing.
-snip-

it reminds me of gollum island from the hobbit cartoon
Well...it's what caves usually look like in fantasy things :>

Dr. Steel

Back to top Go down

Post  nostalgicleaf Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Filling large areas with water more than 1 block deep is complicated. If we end up having to dig or modify a cavern that does not already have ample water it won't be easy. I'm hesitant to suggest Voxel Sniper as it seems there were... issues last time, but I'm not sure there is another practical way.

Will experiment with this tonight. I would love to see this happen.

nostalgicleaf

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:26 am

nostalgicleaf wrote:Filling large areas with water more than 1 block deep is complicated. If we end up having to dig or modify a cavern that does not already have ample water it won't be easy. I'm hesitant to suggest Voxel Sniper as it seems there were... issues last time, but I'm not sure there is another practical way.

Will experiment with this tonight. I would love to see this happen.
I think if you place the first layer of water before digging out the lake, it becomes easier. The only problem with that is the trouble of mining underwater, although that can be made easier with enchanted helmets.

Filling in the lake after we dig it out will be nearly impossible. I suggest we experiment a little beforehand to make the best decision.
Arrowave
Arrowave

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:57 am

If you just want a lake and don't plan to do any further swimming or underwater building once it's done, it's rather easy to fill it with water. Just put a 2-thick layer of dirt where you want the surface to be. Dig a diagonal X of 1x1 holes in the upper layer, fill holes with water sources. Now dig out the upper layer of dirt...and the water source replication effect will fill the surface with water sources! Clean up around irregular edges with a bucket in case there are a few slots not quit econverted into water sources. Now walk across the lake digging out the bottom layer of dirt to let the falling water fill in the rest. The resulting surface appears calm, but there's a bit of an undertow underneath that can be a problem for those in heavy armor.

spectrumwars
spectrumwars

http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nostalgicleaf Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 am

spectrumwars wrote:If you just want a lake and don't plan to do any further swimming or underwater building once it's done, it's rather easy to fill it with water. Just put a 2-thick layer of dirt where you want the surface to be. Dig a diagonal X of 1x1 holes in the upper layer, fill holes with water sources. Now dig out the upper layer of dirt...and the water source replication effect will fill the surface with water sources! Clean up around irregular edges with a bucket in case there are a few slots not quit econverted into water sources. Now walk across the lake digging out the bottom layer of dirt to let the falling water fill in the rest. The resulting surface appears calm, but there's a bit of an undertow underneath that can be a problem for those in heavy armor.

Yeah, as I said I did test this out in a creative world a couple hours ago and it works fairly well. As we dwarves aren't renowned for our swimming abilities, the flows shouldn't be cause for concern. The only annoying bit is the CONSTANT flowing water sound anywhere near the area. If only the source blocks propagated down like they did corner to corner.

nostalgicleaf

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:03 pm

The only way to avoid glowing water is to build it from bottom to top... Not practical, bu it works.
I'll explain if u don't understand how

Mimodo
Admin

https://mcdwarves.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Wow... I don't know how I missed all this stuff... I like the concept of the different shaped lake.. It's really good to have something natural looking

Mimodo
Admin

https://mcdwarves.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3