New main storage warehouse...automated!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New main storage warehouse...automated!

Post  spectrumwars on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:57 pm

On the other server that trainman and I play on, one of the members has created a fairly impressive automated storage system that takes in the output of his auto-harvesting farms and mob grinders, and sticks them not only into chests, but sorts them into the appropriate chests.

Once we finish the farm caves and begin shifting the contents of the worksite temporary storage center to main warehouse, we'll be expanding main cobble storage by 100 double chests or so. Perhaps before that happens, we should build a new replacement main warehouse designed to take advantage of the new comparator, hopper and minecart-with-hopper technologies to produce at least a semi-automated warehouse.

We probably don't need a fully automated auto-sorting storage system, but at the very least, we should probably look into some sort of dedicated bulk cobble storage system where cobble can be put into one chest, which hoppers empty into a series of hopper-linked double chests for storage, a chain ending with a single double chest kept constantly topped up with cobble, from which cobble can be drawn when needed for smelting or other uses.

Smaller versions of this sort of system could be built for other bulk-storage items like dirt, grinder-surplus mob drops, and so forth. Less overwhelming items could remain in manually-sorted chests similar to our current storage system, but with a mix of normal and trapped double chests for higher density storage, since trapped chests can be parked next to normal ones.

This would give those dwarves not interested in bulk farm cave digging something to do back at the main caves after the forge is complete, at any rate.
spectrumwars

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: New main storage warehouse...automated!

Post  Bran2939 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Sounds good. So say someone is mining at farm caves, and they want to send cobble back to storage, they could send a chest with a hopper in it?

Bran2939

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Bran2939 wrote:Sounds good. So say someone is mining at farm caves, and they want to send cobble back to storage, they could send a chest with a hopper in it?

Not quite. Although since it seems that the new rail line out to the farm caves sticks with the Mons Domus style of dense enough power rail layout to send unattended carts, IF we ditch the hub station and instead have the rail line terminate at this new automated storage room, AND the new room is close enough to the farm caves to be in all loaded chunks, then they could theoretically send a minecart-with-chest full of cobble...which would get routed to a docking station at the warehouse, where a fixed hopper would empty the cart into the cobble storage mechanism. Once the cart is empty, it could even get launched back to the farm caves for loading. But I believe the farm caves are too far from the city for the current warehouse or hub station to be in chunk-loading range of them.

More realistically, a person returning from a mining or digging session could bring an enderchest and a minecart-with-chest or two worth of cobble with them to the new warehouse, quickly shift-click the stacks of cobble into a double chest, which hopper pipes would quickly empty into (hidden inside the walls) chests for storage, a chain of which terminates in a (visible and accessible) double chest which is thus always full of cobble for the grabbing.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:57 am

I really like this idea, but I think it is going to be challenging to design a system cheap and compact enough to be worthwhile. I have been messing around in creative to try and come up with a system like this, but all of the designs are either resource intensive, overly complicated, or both. I will be experimenting more and may post some designs in here later.
Arrowave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:59 am

It probably WILL take an awful lot of iron-expensive hoppers. But if we replace the iron blocks in the throne room floor with quartz, we'll be swimming in iron again. Some of that will go to iron-block decorations elsewhere, but much of it should probably go to a hopper-based system of some sort.

If we don't go the full auto-sorting route, but rather merely an auto-storing system for a few extremely high-bulk items, it shouldn't take excessive numbers of hoppers.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:42 am

Bah. I tried to design such a system in a creative world. Failure after failure. Apparently it's not as simple as I thought.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Bran2939 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:41 pm

The chest would have to be stored slanted, unless we used the hopper function to make them deposit sideways, but even then we'd have to make something slanted. It's going to be hard to make it multi story.

Bran2939

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:40 pm

Bran2939 wrote:The chest would have to be stored slanted, unless we used the hopper function to make them deposit sideways, but even then we'd have to make something slanted. It's going to be hard to make it multi story.

Yeah. I had thought it would be possible to get hoppers to feed from one chest to another at the same level, and thus have a system whereby items are fed in to, say, the top left chest in a grid, and taken out the bottom right, with items fed by hopper both down each column of chests and across the top and bottom rows. Apparently not, and we'd need some sort of item elevator or minecart-based system to take items from each slanted slash of chests to the top of the next one.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Bran2939 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:16 am

We could have something like. A different row for each item? and then have the chests on the ceiling. and have hoppers above them, and so once a chest is full, the transportation of the items above, will automatically go to the next hopper/chest?

Bran2939

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:59 am

An automated storage unit would be absolutely massive for the amount of items we currently stock
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bran2939 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:47 am

Crying or Very sad We are doomed. Crying or Very sad

Bran2939

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:15 am

I've asked the guy from the GolemLand server whose personal storage system was the inspiration for this idea to consult on a design. He claims to have come up with a workable design in his singleplayer test world, and I've asked him to join dwarven city temporarily at least to give us a hand with this project. He's agreed, and if Bren and sret whitelist him, I'll give him a tour of the city and he can maybe even get started. Although we should probably pick out a spot for the new warehouse to be built and discuss what sort of space requirements his design needs before we get to making a few hundred hoppers.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:05 am

This thread still gives me a headache. Neutral

I'll have to look through it properly when I have both time and proper sleep. In the meantime, give me the name if you need somebody whitelisted.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bran2939 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Is your friend laxperson808 by any chance?

Bran2939

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Bran2939 wrote:Is your friend laxperson808 by any chance?

That's the guy.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:29 pm

It almost seems like too much effort to really be worth it... but right now I'm somehow lacking motivation to do anything in the city... I think I just need a solid break from minecraft for a bit Sad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top