Curiousity Experiment: Questions for the Dwarfs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Curiousity Experiment: Questions for the Dwarfs

Post  Supacreator on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:08 am

I was bored today and got thinking about posting some pictures I took of the city. After a few minutes of not making progress, I thought "I wish there was a convenient place to ask someone how to." That my friends, is what this topic is about, questions.

I think that any dwarf or even newcomers who are interested in joining, should be able to easily and correctly ask questions to any who are able to answer. Such as a new person who wants to know the IP address of the server. The Dwarf who answers could say that the IP is found in the Server information section, then give them the IP and inform them politely that they will have to get white-listed by application before playing.

I guess I will get the ball rolling and ask, How do you upload pictures from your computer to the Dwarven city forums?
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Curiousity Experiment: Questions for the Dwarfs

Post  spectrumwars on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:32 pm

The same way you upload pictures to pretty much any webforum: with an external image host.

There are several such sites available. I use imageshack.us, but photobucket, Imgur, Flickr, and hundreds of others exist. Most are free, some require you to sign up for a free account to get full functionality, but others let you just anonymously upload stuff.

There are two basic ways to proceed from there.

Free image hosts making money off of advertising, some of them frown upon direct hotlinking to their images. They require the first method: thumbnail linkings. They generally will provide you with the BBCode string needed, but if not, you need two URL's. Those are internet addresses starting with "http://" which tell computers were online to look for the image file or the webpage it's displayed on. For thumbnail-linked pics, one URL will be the thumbnail, a slightly shrunk version of your pic, and the other will be the display page, which is a webpage generated by your image host, which displays the full large-size pic plus a banner ad or two to pay their bills. Some sites will even kick back part of this ad revenue to you if you get enough views, although dwarf city is probably not a great place to get that sort of page-views numbers. Once you got both addresses, you post that here surrounded by tags like this (using [] square brackets rather than parentheses):

(URL="address of the display page")(IMG)"address of the thumbnail pic"(/IMG)(/URL)

I forget if you need to include the quotes or not. Because I use the other method, which only needs one URL.

If your image host allows direct hotlinking, they will give you a URL to the unshrunk original pic you uploaded. Simply cut and paste that into the dialogue box accessed with this button on the post-reply form on this forum:

Or directly into the text between (IMG)(/IMG) tags (square brackets rather than parentheses, again). No quotes needed.

Imageshack requires you to have an account and be logged in when you upload to get a direct link URL, but the account is free and they don't flood your email with spam or anything like that.

On the other hand, you may notice a problem with the above image. It got cropped off to say "This But" rather than "This Button Here". This forum software has a limit on the width of images, and will chop them off if too wide. You may want to use thumbnails to get around that, or shrink your image itself before posting.
spectrumwars

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:11 pm

spectrumwars wrote: I use imageshack.us,

I remember the first time I ever heard about that site. I read it as "images hack us" and wondered why the hell I would trust a site with that name Razz
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:49 am

That's a good idea actually supa.

Also, hope dw adequately answered your question

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:40 am

Brendanan wrote:That's a good idea actually supa.

Thank you, and Indeed he did. Only that looks like a lot of effort so yeah. Smile
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:42 am

Supacreator wrote:
Brendanan wrote:That's a good idea actually supa.

Thank you, and Indeed he did. Only that looks like a lot of effort so yeah. Smile

It was over explained :p
What I do is use photobucket (i believe you need an account, but it's free), then once you upload the picture it gives you something to copy/paste into the forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bran2939 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Imgur is alright too for this, I personally use imgur or imageshack, they are both great Very Happy

Bran2939

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:17 pm

Bran2939 wrote:Imgur is alright too for this, I personally use imgur or imageshack, they are both great Very Happy

Imgur is amazing Wink

Welcome to the forum Smile
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bran2939 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:29 pm

sret wrote:
Bran2939 wrote:Imgur is alright too for this, I personally use imgur or imageshack, they are both great Very Happy

Imgur is amazing Wink

Welcome to the forum Smile

Thanks Smile I gotta say this looks amazing so far, although I'm sure theres a lot more things in the city I havn't seen, I've been browsing the pictures section for a while Very Happy

Bran2939

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Most of the pictures are fairly outdated. It is much more than what you have seen thus far.
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:32 pm

Supa is right. We don't keep the picture section up to date. In fact, we barely take any pictures at all.

I'm glad you like it though. Perhaps you'll see it all with your own eyes Wink
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bran2939 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Supacreator wrote:Most of the pictures are fairly outdated. It is much more than what you have seen thus far.
Ooooh boy am I waiting forward to the tour when/if my app gets accepted Very Happy Any chance of getting a list of what is in the city so far?

Bran2939

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bran2939 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:51 pm

sret wrote:Supa is right. We don't keep the picture section up to date. In fact, we barely take any pictures at all.

I'm glad you like it though. Perhaps you'll see it all with your own eyes Wink
Ah alright, Perhaps, just perhaps Razz

Bran2939

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Actually, even though we haven't made a decision yet, there would be no harm in me giving you a tour of the city.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Bran2939 wrote:
Supacreator wrote:Most of the pictures are fairly outdated. It is much more than what you have seen thus far.
Ooooh boy am I waiting forward to the tour when/if my app gets accepted Very Happy Any chance of getting a list of what is in the city so far?

Well, We have the center dome finished, the eating hall, housing is done in the form of the Atrium, Most of our mine-cart tunnels are done or almost done (we haven't built one to the farm caves yet), storage room is finished, the mines are operational(never can really "finish" a mine), the entrance is done, the village has been put in working order, small ender base, we have a nether compound with lava mines and netherwart farms, Temporary storage at the dig site has been finished, The farm caves are in progress as is the forge, we have a double xp grinder for spiders and skellies, an ice farm, some pretty good caving spots, a guard tower at the entrance, some very functional farms. Did I miss anything?
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:04 pm

You missed the throne room Wink
Other than that I think you covered most of the major stuff.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bran2939 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:06 pm

sret wrote:Actually, even though we haven't made a decision yet, there would be no harm in me giving you a tour of the city.
I would like that very much thankyou, but I get a good computer in a few weeks, which will be pretty much lag free-ish gaming computer. So I'll be able to play on the server better, so if I do get accepted I'll probably hold off on playing on it until then if that's okay? scratch

Bran2939

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:12 pm

That's understandable, we all know how much it sucks to play on a computer that can't handle the epicness that is Minecraft. I've been considering getting a new myself simply to boost the Minecraft performance.

Anyway, it will give us plenty of time to make a decision Smile
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bran2939 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:52 pm

sret wrote:That's understandable, we all know how much it sucks to play on a computer that can't handle the epicness that is Minecraft. I've been considering getting a new myself simply to boost the Minecraft performance.

Anyway, it will give us plenty of time to make a decision Smile
Alright thanks, if theres an interview or anything (XD) or you need to ask any questions it might be a good idea to pm me on mc forums also just incase, but I'm sure I always check this/mcforums as soon as I can anyway ( at least once every day, I check it every hour or so or more.)

Bran2939

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top