Dwarven City
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lighting the top of the dig site

2 posters

Go down

Lighting the top of the dig site Empty Lighting the top of the dig site

Post  spectrumwars Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:14 am

Okay, I log in for the first time in a while, and get to participate in a momentous moment...I think Trainman and I finished separating the farm cave dig site from the ceiling at last! Eh, there may be a connection over on the right side, I didn't check too closely.

I was too busy being horrified at the shoddy job done of lighting up the recently cleared areas.

Observe this picture:

Lighting the top of the dig site 20121123013729

What's wrong with this picture? The big gaping area of darkness has allowed a zombie to spawn on the dig site. Now, of course I handled this zombie easily. But creepers also spawn in darkness, and they can sneak up silently behind you while you're absorbed in digging and blow you away. Not that we mind them excavating a few blocks from the floor for us, and death is pretty cheap in minecraft, but it's still an annoyance. And with the ceiling still close and a desert overhead, they can also cause big cave-ins. Which is a much bigger annoyance than a mere few dead dwarf diggers.

Now, observe this picture:

Lighting the top of the dig site 20121123013205f

On the left side of the pic, you see the neat rows of evenly spaced torches I've been leaving behind me as I dig down that side of the work area. On the right side, you see the dark patches and haphazard torch placement of some unknown dwarf who was working ahead of me and not lighting his work area. Large areas of valid mob spawning ground over there mean dangerous working conditions.

Okay, my staggered rows of a torch every four blocks may seem a bit excessive. And they are. But there is a method to this madness. Knock out a torch or two? Enough overlap remains to prevent spawns. Get a torch a few blocks wrong in the pattern? Enough overlap remains to prevent spawns. Dig down up to four layers (leaving the torches and the blocks they sit on)? Enough light reaches the floor to prevent spawns. Then simply put new torches on the floor under the old ones, and repeat until we dig this chunk away.

That was the plan, anyways. It's fine to dig to your own plan, using your own methods. But whatever method you use, please, LIGHT THE FLOOR ENOUGH TO PREVENT SPAWNS.

spectrumwars
spectrumwars

http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Lighting the top of the dig site Empty Re: Lighting the top of the dig site

Post  sret Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:00 pm

I hope people will notice this and start throwing a few extra torches down. While digging out the bottom I often had to walk around and throw down torches in already dug out areas because somebody had been putting them in the same inefficient way that you've been experiencing up at the top.
sret
sret
Admin

Back to top Go down