So what did YOU do today?

Page 41 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: So what did YOU do today?

Post  spectrumwars on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:36 am

Bran2939 wrote:Anyone ever kinda schedule when they're on the server? Because I'd like to do some work, but quite honestly, I dunno if I can solo XD
I kind of prefer to work alone...I like being on a server with others, but working right beside someone tends to get annoying. Working on different parts of the same whole works better for me. Hence me digging this rail line while others work on the forge et cetera.

But if you want to be on the server at the same time as me, I'm usually on steamchat (spectrumwars) if you want to invite me to join you in the city. Scheduling ahead of time is tough on this server with the players spread all over the world. We've got people in Australia, the US, and Europe, and having them all awake at the same time is not easy.
spectrumwars

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bran2939 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:40 am

Ah, alright no problem Smile My steam name is TehTeaking, I'll send you a request now-ish? I'm usually on weekdays(and sunday) 5pm-1am UK time, friday I can do all nighters, and saturday maybe up until 2-3am. That sleeping pattern, not good at all XD But yeah, I'll be going in a min, so I'll add you now and begone.

Bran2939

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:16 am

Bran2939 wrote:Ah, alright no problem :)My steam name is TehTeaking, I'll send you a request now-ish? I'm usually on weekdays(and sunday) 5pm-1am UK time, friday I can do all nighters, and saturday maybe up until 2-3am. That sleeping pattern, not good at all XD But yeah, I'll be going in a min, so I'll add you now and begone.
Heh, I'm in Chicago, about 6-7 hours behind you, depending on daylight savings schedules, so your evening-late night is my morning-afternoon. Depending on family chores and such, I may be on during the day, may not (and tomorrow is looking to be in the "not" category, as I gotta take my father to a couple of doctors' appointments). I'm pretty reliably online 10pm-1am or so after dinner and dishes, but that's sometime your early morning the next day.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Came on for a little bit, extended the rail line another section, as far as that small cave system I fully lit-n-looted earlier. As that system is fully explored, I'm not putting in an access door to the rail line, just a glass-walled tunnel where it passes through the lit cave.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Just had a few minutes today between lunch and leaving for a funeral. So instead of more rail tunnel digging, I made a quick trip back to the warehouse to drop off some loot, pick up some more wood, glass, sand, jackolanterns, and food, and bring those supplies back to the forward operating base at the turn in the rail line.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:37 am

A power outage at our server location had GolemLand down all day, so I was able to FINISH THE FARM CAVE RAIL LINE.  It's done, complete, full rail and dressed tunnel all the way to the farm cave from the hub.  Well, the actual hub end isn't hooked up to the line yet, someone who has more than a vague idea how the hub switching system works will have to take care of that.   Until then, just go into the maintenance-access door and there's a simple push-button launcher at the start of the tunnel.  There's also track laid up to where it SHOULD exit the hub switching system, I think, but not entirely sure how that works.  Anyone looking for someplace to go spelunking, the rail line has multiple doors where you can enter caves or abandoned mineshafts and most of them are only barely explored, especially near the farm cave end.  One that IS fairly well explored even has a little hole-in-the-ceiling moon pool style way to swim up to the surface of the sea right next to the shoreline near the NPC village and the surface entrance to the stronghold.  There's also stronghold access off the rail line as well.

EDIT TO ADD: And afterwards, I did a little XP grinding. I enchanted two books with 30 levels each, and got...Fire Protection III on both of 'em. Blah. I also made a trip outside to gather a few stacks of sand.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:50 pm

So we already have the rail line up and running again? Good job, I'll have to check it out later Smile

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:23 am

Well, I poked around a bit in the mechanism, and I got the farm cave rail line working through the hub switching system. Whoever built it had included some expandibility by putting in an extra row of redstone and such, and I just hooked that up with a new redstone lamp and button. This did require lengthening the hub control room a few blocks, but now there's room for one more button on the wall, although there isn't any actual redstone or rail behind it yet.

I also chopped some trees at the farm cave aboretum and stuck a stack of oak logs into the warehouse, then logged out back at the farm caves after resetting my spawn to the bed there once more.

We should probably think about a site for a new and larger underground tree farm, right now we're mostly dependent on either spruce from our small and inadequate tree farm shoehorned between the sheep pens and the atrium, or oak from various surface plantings. I've done some fairly impressive underground tree farms with my other server in recent months, maybe I'll go looking for a good spot to do one for dwarf city as well.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Got some digging done on the farm caves the last day or so. Almost done with the current layer of the left half, which is only like the first or second layer due to the rassa-frassing revert.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Btw, SW, has the lag (or hopefully lack thereof) changed anything since we relaunched the server? I'm just wondering because the old one was in the US and the new one is in Scandinavia.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:22 am

sret wrote:Btw, SW, has the lag (or hopefully lack thereof) changed anything since we relaunched the server? I'm just wondering because the old one was in the US and the new one is in Scandinavia.
Ping isn't terribly good, but the lag isn't bad enough to make mining, building, or spelunking difficult. I haven't SEEN enough wild mobs to judge how mob fighting is, there seems to be something seriously wrong with mob spawning. Outside of dungeon spawners, I've seen darn few hostile mobs.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:57 am

Have you tried going outside at night? If you still can't find any then I'm willing to believe there's indeed something wrong.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:49 pm

After so long hardly seeing mobs, I run into two...on the floor of the farm cave.  First a zombie, then while I was trying to light up any dim patches, a creeper jumps me as I was making more torches.  My armor saved me, but my exiting the inventory screen in mid-craft made me drop my half stack of logs on the ground just before the creeper went off, and they were destroyed.  So I went upstairs to the surface and chopped some wood, then took some extra stacks of logs from the farm cave worksite storage to the main storage room, which was kinda low on wood.  I brought back ten stacks of gunpowder, intending to make em into two stacks of TNT with sand from the desert above.  Some time this week I will try to experiment with controlled demolitions in the farm cave, hopefully speed up the progress a bit.  Normally I hate using TNT, and consider it wasteful of drops.  But we're not exactly short on cobble, iron, or even coal, especially after digging the rail line produced more of each than it consumed.  Even more gold, thanks to only using one power rail every 32 iron rails.  And with the loss of half a year of work, we got a lot of ground to make up.  

Oh, and that top layer of the north half is finally done.  Next time, I start on the next layer down.

EDIT TO ADD: Forgot to say that after a day of chopping wood on the surface, I poked my nose back out to see if mobs were spawning on the surface after sunset. A few were. So mob spawning isn't entirely broken, but those cave systems were freakishly empty, man!
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Server subscription's been renewed, we're good for another month.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:52 pm

I did some more digging in the farm caves over the last couple of days. I also did some lighting on the upper levels of the big midline ravine.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:50 pm

I've been really busy over on GolemLand the last week or so, getting ready to move to a new map. But this afternoon I logged into Dwarf City a bit and did some digging in the farm caves.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:49 am

And today, I did some more digging, some more lighting in the smaller ravine, and even some light-n-looting in an abandoned mineshaft reachable from that ravine. This latter included finding and looting a skeleton dungeon, which I'm half tempted to turn into a secondary XP grinder.
spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:25 am

Tested out several new digging methods on the map download. The Result? Thousands of blocks in less than a half an hour testing. Cost efficient after setup is complete! If everyone had contributed 10 hours with the method I discovered we would have been done with the farm caves within a month!  Cool 
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:35 pm

Supacreator wrote:Tested out several new digging methods on the map download. The Result? Thousands of blocks in less than a half an hour testing. Cost efficient after setup is complete! If everyone had contributed 10 hours with the method I discovered we would have been done with the farm caves within a month!  Cool 

Feel free to share. I assume it involved some very enchanted picks?

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:57 pm

Get onto a normal world with cheats on. spawn a diamond pick and use an anvil to put efficiancy 5 unbreaking 3 on it. now build a max power beacon to give you haste 2.

Dig. go see for yourself, it's insane. A pain to set up but incredibly fast afterwards. totally within the dwarven budget though!
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:24 am

I see. I'm not sure about the beacon part though, we have yet to kill the wither. I do however believe we did discuss putting a beacon in there once we can.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:43 pm

I'm pretty sure the lost 8 months of work included whatever wither skulls we'd managed to get.

I've found that a diamond pick with unbreaking 3 and efficiency 3 can be repaired an effectively infinite number of times. Once down to zero durability, it can be combined onto a new unenchanted pick for 23 levels, or 30 levels including renaming it. These do not seem to increase in cost with further repairs.

An eff3 diamond pick will cut through stone reasonably fast, but not so fast that you're likely to be unable to stop when hitting ore in order to switch over to a fortune or silk touch pick. I've carved out vast areas of my base on Golemland for an underground tree farm with such picks, one of which I've repaired over 30 times in this manner.

For better efficiency, I suppose we could even wear out a bit of the unenchanted pick first, to take advantage of the bonus from repairing a tool. Hitting F3-CTRL-H toggles a display mode that shows the exact durability of tools, letting you hit exactly zero on the enchanted pick, and make sure you don't wear down the unenchanted one too far.

spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:27 pm

getting wither skulls is the most annoying part of getting a beacon. killing the wither won't be that bad if we just use bedrock to imprison it while we annihilate it with smite swords. again it's a pain to set up but we only need one beacon.

with this combo the pick cuts as to arm's length at walking speed. so worth the effort for time saved
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:36 am

I connected the Forge to the Hub and made a system that allows us to go from the mines directly to the forge. It's one way so if you want to go from the forge to any other place you have to stop at the hub first.

It was a nightmare to get the railways functional given how cramped the area is. We might need to create an entire separate wing of the HUB if we want to connect any more locations. There just isn't enough room to keep using the modular system in that spot. I should also mention that the new railway is 2x1 tunnel. It's just large enough to work. I will clear some more space around it later.

In any case, the railway is fully operational. I think I will begin working on our resource stockpile as it seems we have run low on several commodities. I hope some of my fellow dwarfs will return so we might discuss getting the server live again.

Until then,
Signing Out.
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:48 am

I have finished digging a 3x3 tunnel for the railway to the Forge. I also did a few house keeping things in the main storage area.(replenishing crafted goods)
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 41 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top