Railway to the digsite

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Railway to the digsite

Post  sret on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:56 am

As you all know, we have yet to set up a line to the new caves. This is mostly because we don't know the exact plans for one, as there sure are no lack of interest in it (it keeps getting mentioned).

To get a fast and safe route to the site, and a way to transport stuff back to the main storage easier (and yet again, safer), I suggest we try to start planning said railway and getting to work on it whenever possible. This could also help luring Splated out of hiding. Wink
avatar
sret
Admin

Posts : 1030
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  31trainman on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:02 am

I support this 100 % Very Happy .

31trainman

Posts : 125
Join date : 2012-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  Brendanan on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:16 am

Sounds like we should... Question though... Where do we want to have it link to in the caves? Do we want to have a stop that then requires a walk to before entering the caves? Do we just want it to go straight to the cave, or do we just want to put it up to the current store room (remembering that it's not permanent, and that the rest of the pit will be filled in later)

_________________
Guess what, we now have a signature Very Happy
avatar
Brendanan

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2012-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  spectrumwars on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:24 am

Brendanan wrote:Sounds like we should... Question though... Where do we want to have it link to in the caves? Do we want to have a stop that then requires a walk to before entering the caves? Do we just want it to go straight to the cave, or do we just want to put it up to the current store room (remembering that it's not permanent, and that the rest of the pit will be filled in later)

Probably send it to the storeroom. Definitely not the standard Dwarf City design, as it's difficult to send trains of storage carts through those launchers. Although if we keep the usual close spacing between booster rails, we could theoretically send single carts through...except that I am not sure the farming cave and the storeroom are in chunks that are both loaded at the same time unless multiple people are online. So it might be better to send short trains including a passenger cart when moving bulk supplies between the onsite storage and the central warehouse.

Once we start finishing the farm caves, we'll move the cart terminal to near the boat dock in the side cavern.
avatar
spectrumwars

Posts : 715
Join date : 2012-01-13
Age : 41
Location : Chicago

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  sret on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:44 pm

spectrumwars wrote:
Once we start finishing the farm caves, we'll move the cart terminal to near the boat dock in the side cavern.

So we need to figure out where the dock will be, then the best route to get the rail line to be in line with the temporary storage and the future dock location.
avatar
sret
Admin

Posts : 1030
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  spectrumwars on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:42 pm

sret wrote:
spectrumwars wrote:
Once we start finishing the farm caves, we'll move the cart terminal to near the boat dock in the side cavern.

So we need to figure out where the dock will be, then the best route to get the rail line to be in line with the temporary storage and the future dock location.

If the original pit is to be the side cavern with the boat dock, then the dock will probably be pretty much at the bottom of the existing ladder down. As long as we approach the site from that direction, we can either enter the work room pretty much down the center aisle of the bulk cobble storage room, which will be great for eventually loading trains of carts with cobble for the storeroom, or later change the slope to hit the boat dock lower down.
avatar
spectrumwars

Posts : 715
Join date : 2012-01-13
Age : 41
Location : Chicago

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  sret on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:52 pm

The thing is, our rail lines are generally at the lower levels while this storage is near the surface. The dock will be on the proper level for the rail line so I suggest we dig it down there and create a slope up to the storage near the end of the line. Perhaps we could even have it end down there and have a drop down from the storage onto the rail line (as in getting in a car and falling off the edge to land on a booster rail down there). This way we can take carts from the storage all the way to the city for transportation, but we will have to climb a ladder or something when we come back, which shouldn't be a problem as we only need to transport huge amounts of stuff the other way. This setup will eliminate some extra work and problems with the actual rail line. However, if we want to make trains with storage carts, I have no idea if that will work with the drop thing as I have never used them.
avatar
sret
Admin

Posts : 1030
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  spectrumwars on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:39 pm

sret wrote:The thing is, our rail lines are generally at the lower levels while this storage is near the surface. The dock will be on the proper level for the rail line so I suggest we dig it down there and create a slope up to the storage near the end of the line. Perhaps we could even have it end down there and have a drop down from the storage onto the rail line (as in getting in a car and falling off the edge to land on a booster rail down there). This way we can take carts from the storage all the way to the city for transportation, but we will have to climb a ladder or something when we come back, which shouldn't be a problem as we only need to transport huge amounts of stuff the other way. This setup will eliminate some extra work and problems with the actual rail line. However, if we want to make trains with storage carts, I have no idea if that will work with the drop thing as I have never used them.

I like this plan. If worst comes to worst, we can build a sort of temporary marshalling yard down at dock level, then drop full carts down from above one at a time (onto a temporarily disabled track), assemble a multi-car train down there, and send it back to central storage.

Or perhaps this is all a moot point unless we also modify the end of the line at the main storage warehouse to accomodate multi-car trains, as right now it's built around single cars dumped into the Hub Station one at a time.
avatar
spectrumwars

Posts : 715
Join date : 2012-01-13
Age : 41
Location : Chicago

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  Supacreator on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:00 pm

well someone get planning so I can get building! Laughing
avatar
Supacreator

Posts : 219
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 20
Location : US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  Brendanan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:06 am

Sorry guys, I've been hot pretty hard with uni this week... I like your plan Sret... My original idea was to have the boat dock on your left as you come down the ladder...

Retrieveal at storage will probably just require a small modification which we can then fix up when we're done... I'm out of the loop with minecraft physics now, but I'm sure we can figure something out.

_________________
Guess what, we now have a signature Very Happy
avatar
Brendanan

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2012-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  sret on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:49 pm

We also need to figure out where the new line should join up with the ones in the city. Should it go straight down to the main station(the hub)? It might be hard to work that out without the help of Splated.
avatar
sret
Admin

Posts : 1030
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  Brendanan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:22 pm

If splated doesn't re-appear, I can extend it. It's a simple extendable design, nice and compact, so it should just be a case of adding in another button, a bit of wire, and the tracks... No point in creating another spot for it to join when everything else is in the hub

_________________
Guess what, we now have a signature Very Happy
avatar
Brendanan

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2012-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  Supacreator on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:40 pm

I have begun to lay out a rail-line from the temporary storage to the Hub. funny how the route I planned cuts through one of the strongholds we explored Cool
avatar
Supacreator

Posts : 219
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 20
Location : US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  sret on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 pm

That's actually nice, it can be a future stop when we turn the stronghold into a prison Smile

_________________
Down here, we're in control.
avatar
sret
Admin

Posts : 1030
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  Arrowave on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Just saw this topic for the first time and you guys have figured it all out.

What are the current plans for the farm caves storage room when finish the farm caves? Once we finish the farm caves we will have no real use for a storage room near the surface. We could demolish it completely which would make the surface environment look undisturbed again. We could also renovate it and turn it into a facility for some other purpose altogether. I am leaning towards turning it into something else I just can't think of any other purpose for it.
avatar
Arrowave

Posts : 392
Join date : 2012-01-24
Age : 21
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  spectrumwars on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Arrowave wrote:Just saw this topic for the first time and you guys have figured it all out.

What are the current plans for the farm caves storage room when finish the farm caves? Once we finish the farm caves we will have no real use for a storage room near the surface. We could demolish it completely which would make the surface environment look undisturbed again. We could also renovate it and turn it into a facility for some other purpose altogether. I am leaning towards turning it into something else I just can't think of any other purpose for it.

The storage will be emptied and shifted to the main warehouse back in town. The surface structure will likely be slightly altered and become an alternate entrance/exit for the city, one closer to the desert for sand collection and such. Since it's partly on a lake, perhaps make it our marina/boat dock?
avatar
spectrumwars

Posts : 715
Join date : 2012-01-13
Age : 41
Location : Chicago

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  Supacreator on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:38 pm

For anyone who wants to work on the rail-line PM me because I am using a very precise pattern and route so don't just start digging unless you know what to do because you asked me to tell you the calculations and such. I have it under control and will finish soon
avatar
Supacreator

Posts : 219
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 20
Location : US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  sret on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:49 pm

Arrowave wrote:Just saw this topic for the first time and you guys have figured it all out.

What are the current plans for the farm caves storage room when finish the farm caves? Once we finish the farm caves we will have no real use for a storage room near the surface. We could demolish it completely which would make the surface environment look undisturbed again. We could also renovate it and turn it into a facility for some other purpose altogether. I am leaning towards turning it into something else I just can't think of any other purpose for it.

The rail line will probably lead into the first room of the farm caves and the surface will be cleaned up completely. The storage is only there to help during the digging and construction of the caves, it's not a planned part of the city and thus it's not meant to exist once the project is done. Originally it was just a basic dirt shack with chests to drop cobble in, then trainman and I think it was supa decided to turn it into a more proper place. Keeping it and finding a purpose for it is a possibility, but I don't see why we would keep the actual surface part when surface facilities pretty much go against our project guidelines.

_________________
Down here, we're in control.
avatar
sret
Admin

Posts : 1030
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  Brendanan on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:25 am

I agree with sret... I saw once the farm caves have been completed we remove everything, and demolish the place/fill it in. give no evidence that there is a gigantic underground lake just below the surface

_________________
Guess what, we now have a signature Very Happy
avatar
Brendanan

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2012-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  Bran2939 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:56 am

So there wont be that little dirt shell over the top of it? Razz

Bran2939

Posts : 251
Join date : 2012-12-08
Age : 18
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  spectrumwars on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Bran2939 wrote:So there wont be that little dirt shell over the top of it? Razz

No, that's gonna have smoothstone coating under it to be the roof of the caves, then above it filled in with cobble and then a few layers of sand on top, so it just looks like another patch of desert.

And I can live with the existing surface structure being completely demolished as well. Or leaving it as an alternate entrance, either way works for me.
avatar
spectrumwars

Posts : 715
Join date : 2012-01-13
Age : 41
Location : Chicago

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  sret on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:43 pm

spectrumwars wrote:
And I can live with the existing surface structure being completely demolished as well. Or leaving it as an alternate entrance, either way works for me.

Why on earth would we have an entrance by the farm caves, and why would we even have a second entrance in the first place? It kind of takes away from the grand entrance we already have.

_________________
Down here, we're in control.
avatar
sret
Admin

Posts : 1030
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  Supacreator on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:09 pm

Almost done with the rail, there is one junction I need to work out and then the entire thing needs rails right now, But it is a safe walking path
avatar
Supacreator

Posts : 219
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 20
Location : US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Railway to the digsite

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum