Re: The forge (finally)

Post  3rdi on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:57 am

sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
KaTiON wrote:
Brendanan wrote:I'm unsure about the bedrock thing, mainly because I'm super OCD about having bedrock... I must ALWAYS have a layer of stone above the bedrock...

I'm not alone! Very Happy

You most certainly aren't Wink

But would it fit in the circumstances?

Yes

So you're saying that we'll have to torture our OCD with this then?

I'm not sure

It's like a quote within a quote within a quote...

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:07 am

3rdi wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
KaTiON wrote:
Brendanan wrote:I'm unsure about the bedrock thing, mainly because I'm super OCD about having bedrock... I must ALWAYS have a layer of stone above the bedrock...

Yes

I'm not sure

I was actually amused by that. It looks pretty cool.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:04 am

sret wrote:
3rdi wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
KaTiON wrote:

Yes

I'm not sure

That's the point of why I keep quoting anyway

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
3rdi wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
KaTiON wrote:

Yes

I'm not sure

I just got caught up in it
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaTiON on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:04 pm

sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
3rdi wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
KaTiON wrote:

Yes

I'm not sure

Careful now, at this rate we'll create a quote singularity by 21 December.
KaTiON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:16 am

KaTiON wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
3rdi wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
KaTiON wrote:

Yes

I'm not sure

:O

22nd December here btw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:34 am

Brendanan wrote:
KaTiON wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
3rdi wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
KaTiON wrote:

Yes

I'm not sure

:O

22nd December here btw

I guess that "ze end of the world" video had some truth to it after all

sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:27 am

Ok, I'm going to destroy the quoteception, and try and drag this thread back on topic *cue dramatic music*

We'll start with the location, which we have had some discussion on. Beneath the eating hall and lava pit was a suggestion, so then the lava could then flow down into a cauldron. This is a possibility, and would leave us with 3 layers of areas. I believe we would want something a little more than just a minecart track there. Perhaps have it link directly into the store room. Ok, I'm wiritng as ideas come into my head now, so bear with me. If we remove the current overflow storage, we can find somewhere else for the cobblestone, and instead, we can have a larger scale minecrat track to the new forge. It would be a more industrial size track system, designed to carry large amounts of resources, and allow heavy traffic. It would be something for both walking and minecart riding, with the capability to move a lot at once. As the store room is relatively low, we can get that closeness to bedrock that we are looking for. This means we have easy access to resources for the forge, as well as a path to the forge that doesn't look out of place.

The forge itself should connect directly to the mines. What is the point of having the mines on the opposite side of the map to where the stuff gets smelted? I'm almost thinking that we create a new mines. On that is perhaps, just mainly for looks.

Despite the inefficiency of the old mine, the one that SW proposed, and we began with, it does look pretty damn awesome, and I'm sure you guys can't deny that. If we link up a new mine, of the old style, directly to this forge, without too much distance between the two, it would add to the effect. The old mines can be kept and used, or perhaps left as our own little abandoned mineshaft, where we've run all the resources dry. I believe that using the original mine style, with a little wall smoothing and simple decoration, as well as a complex looking (not necessarily complex in itself) system of minecart tracks running through the mines, we can look like true dwarves. If this links directly to the forge, we have both an efficient, and dwarven method of gathering, and processing the valuables that we have.

The forge itself does not necessarily need to be beneath the lava pit, as we can just place lava in the roof, and, honestly, we wouldn't know the difference anyway. I think the forge can have lava pouring from a lava lake in the roof, and from 'pipes' into a cauldron or similar. This would then feed the lava into channels which run through the floor as a way to "power" the forges. Perhaps have it running through the floor beneath a layer of glass. The mines connect directly into the forge, with a large storage area, which goes directly into the furnaces, then out the other side into minecarts ready to be delivered back to the storage and kept for later.

This kind of thing would require an expansion of our storage. We already have our hall with cobblestone completely filled, and that's not including all the stuff we've dug up from the farm caves. We have already filled the floor of the overflow store room, and as a result, will need somewhere to place all of the cobble. Perhaps if we create another level of storage, above or below. Thinking maybe above, on litle balconies that look down below to the rest of the storage, or in large pillars, or even just in the same way as the current store room is. We just don't want to have to spend 5 minutes walking to the end of a corridor to place your cobblestone in a chest......

and that's my ideas for now... sorry for the wall of text... there's another whole wall of text coming in a new thread hopefully soonish (dwarf mining is making a return)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Wow, I didn't even realize this was the forge thread we were killing, whoops!

I'd be on board for this idea. I really like minetracks and mines and the industrial feeling that will come with all of this. It all sounds good to me and I must also say that I've missed the hell out of dwarven mining!
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:08 pm

Dwarven mining will a while (hopefully not too long,but still a while)... Sorry about the mess of writing, I had an image comingto my head, and I was trying to shape it, then thought "screw it", and just wrote everything that came to my mind. Didn't take a break throughout, didn't know what I was going to write, but it's the fastest I have ever writen anything :p

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:24 pm

I remember the expansion of the storeroom being an active topic before i took a break, maybe we could revisit the thread? Either sret or me suggested the multi levels of storage room, and it got shot down for some reason, but I can't remember what it was, possibly space constraints?I do like the idea of an express railway between the storeroom and the forge though, maybe dig a 6 wide tunnel, have 1 wide walkways either side, with fences/railings/whatever, then have a 2 track lines slightly below walkway level, 1 for passengers, 1 for minecart chests.

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:28 pm

3rdi wrote:I remember the expansion of the storeroom being an active topic before i took a break, maybe we could revisit the thread? Either sret or me suggested the multi levels of storage room, and it got shot down for some reason, but I can't remember what it was, possibly space constraints?I do like the idea of an express railway between the storeroom and the forge though, maybe dig a 6 wide tunnel, have 1 wide walkways either side, with fences/railings/whatever, then have a 2 track lines slightly below walkway level, 1 for passengers, 1 for minecart chests.

Yes, it was a topic of discussion, and there were many different suggestions as to how to do it. I do remember, although don't know why that was chosen not to be done.

For the tracks, I'm thinking perhaps even bigger. At least two tracks in each direction, and perhaps a two wide pathway on each side, either a half block, or a whole block higher than the minecart tracks (I think having them lower is a good idea, at least for aesthetics)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:00 pm

I was thinking 2 blocks higher.

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:30 am

If it is two blocks different, falling in would then be impossible to get out without running along the tracks. While that's not usually a problem, if we're doing a session of high efficiency smelting where there are carts running back and forth constantly, it does become quite a large problem.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:32 am

Also, I'm unable to play minecraft still, so I cannot do mockups of any of the stuff I am suggesting, but I can write

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:21 pm

I was thinking of having stairs back up at intervals, I was thinking of making this far grander than the regular minecart tunnels, even the 1 tunnel I decorated, talking of that, I really should do the rest of the tunnels ^^

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:32 am

Yes, the minecart tunnels have been on the list for a while. Feel free to get something going Smile

And yeah, I was also wanting something a little bigger, but more of an industrial feel to it, rather than a dome style

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:16 am

Ok, so what does everyone think of the ideas proposed in the wall of text that makes no sense?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:50 am

Well, since things seem to have died down I'm going to try and give a visual representation of where I was thinking for the forge, and where we could add the new aesthetic mines into as well... Not today, but keep an eye out

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:14 am

Ok guys, I'm not sure about you guys, but I wanna get a forge actually built, so I've done a few things...

First up, I downloaded optifine to give myself a view distance double that of far. I then got an aerial view of everything we have built up... Take a look

You can see the village all nice and well lit up. up in the top right you can just see where we are digging the farm cave, a way off. The blue mark is the entrance, the red is the dome, and the yellow is about where the throne room and store room is. you can see the atrium above where the dome is.

The white square is in the general area where I was thinking that the forge could go. This is directly near the store room, and in a location that is free from building interruptions.

The white lines indicate the general location for where I was thinking we could place the ore mines (purely for aesthetics, but it should earn us a crapload of resources in the process.

Since no one gave too much feedback on my most recent suggestion of the forge, I'm going to keep going with that, and it can be refined as needed. If it's complete bullshit, just tell me please...

Anyway, back on topic.
As I had suggested in my "write-everything-that-comes-to-mind" post, I think that we should have mines that connect directly to the forge, for the appearance of efficiency. Everything gets smelted before it is brought to the main storage.

Now, whilst the original mine we used - the suggestion by SW - was extremely inefficient... it looks awesome. For those of you who haven't even been to the mines, or just can't remember properly, take a look:

As you can see, we've got a big main tunnel, with stairs up and down to different levels, as well as cross branches. Minecart tracks running down the centre... If we added some basic decoration to this to make it look like an operational and fancy mine, it could look pretty amazing I think. I'm not sure if you guys agree with me or not, so let me know.

Now, as for the forge itself, there has been many suggestion. The basic outline is that we need to have a shitload of furnaces, storage space, and lava. I like the suggestion for having lava flow from above (from pipes or elsewhere) into a large cauldron, central to the forge. Now, I think we should have this cauldron either tipping lava out into some pipes which flow to "power" the furnaces, or have it flowing from openings in the bottom to some pipes to power it.

This is the kind of thing I'm thinking for the lava "powering" rows of furnaces

Now, excuse my dodgy paint skills...

The red circle is the cauldron or lava lake or something like that.
The red lines is lava beneath a layer of glass, like it's flowing through pipes
The black lines are rows of furnaces
The brown is to represent the tracks to the store room
The yellow is off in the direction of the mines
The green is some kind of storage area, which fits a lot of chests, but still suits the style of the forge.

Ok, that's a lot of crap I've put up here, just give me opinions please, I'm not usre how much actually makes sense

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:36 am

Hmmm, I'll have to take some screenshots of the mines in my base on the other server, they're an evolved version of the old mines I based the original Dwarf City ones on. They're still centered on a ladder shaft rather than a central cart track, but now that smelting gets you XP and fortune III picks mean near infinite coal supplies, I've taken to dressing the mining tunnels with smoothstone to replace all cobble, ore, gravel, and dirt. They're so clean and well-lit you could practically eat off the floor, and thanks to periodic skylights at major intersections, you can see out to the limit of your render distance even on far (provided you stay near one of the skylights). Sometimes in more than one direction at once.

And I've gotten a couple of ideas recently that might make the rail-centered dwarf mining version of the design look even cooler and work even better.

Speaking of which, how about this for the forge. We have the cauldron with a few "pipes" of lava (troughs, really) flowing towards the furnaces, but instead of (or in addition to) lava-under-glass floors, we have vertical shafts of flowing lava (behind glass panes or iron bars) between sections of furnaces? Like this:

FFLFFLFFLFF
FFLFFLFFLFF
FFLFFLFFLFF
(view of wall)
F=Furnace
L=Lava tube

Maybe have every other lava tube instead be a tube of water backlit by pumpkin lights or glowstone, for a blue-glowly counterpoint to the orange-glowly lava.
spectrumwars

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:55 am

Definitely dress it all with smoothstone, and do some other basic decoration to make it look like a mine. I still don't like the idea of skylights. It's something humans would add to a mine, rather than dwarves (the sunlight hurts us).

We definitely need to include rail tracks in it as well, as this entire mine is for aesthetics... although it doesn't technically need to work for us.

I like the idea of lava pipes too... If we do water it would need to be backlit by glowstone (you can see through it... and who the hell puts pumkins in a forge!!!) If only there was a way to make steam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Brendanan wrote:
I like the idea of lava pipes too... If we do water it would need to be backlit by glowstone (you can see through it... and who the hell puts pumkins in a forge!!!) If only there was a way to make steam

Pumpkins are orange, if you place them to hide the faces, they kinda look like lava behind the water. But yeah, glowstone might work better on most texture packs.
spectrumwars

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Bren's idea sounds perfectly fine to me. I'm not too thrilled about the vertical lava and we also have a similar thing in the path between the dome and main storage. I do however like walking on it, so I say stick with the lava beneath the floor.

I also love that picture. Did you use cartograph (or whatever it's called) to take it? I've always wanted to be able to get pictures like that.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:34 am

Haha, no... I used creative mode to fly, and optifine to give me the ability to see double far distance. Let's just say even with my awesome laptop it took me down to 20 fps. I'm still half asleep right now, but I'll be awake properly in an hour or so, and ready to play

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top