The forge (finally)

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The forge (finally)

Post  Brendanan on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:41 pm

So, it's taken some time, but I think it's about time we seriously think about getting this forge into place. It has been discussed on and off for quite a bit of time, but hopefully now we can put together all the ideas in one place, and come up with a solution for this dilemma on a dwarven city without a dwarven forge.

The first thing, as with every part of the city, is location; where do we put this? For ages I've been thinking that the current spot for the farms can be used for both the barracks and the forge, but this idea was for after we had already finished the farm cave (which is a much larger project than anticipated - yes, I did know it was big, but not THAT big). We can still do this, however, we will need to create temporary animal pens to house at least 2 of every animal (except chickens, as long as we got some eggs, and the ones swarming the village). This will also require removing the tree farm. I'm also open to any other suggestions for where to place the forge.

The next is the layout, and what it will look like. There's only two conditions with this. It's got to be epic, just like the rest of the city; and, it's got to be able to smelt a shit ton of stuff at once. I'm thinking chest-fulls of stone in quarter stacks kind of thing. Mass producing on a gigantic scale.

I did some digging around from previous topics, and here's some of the things I found:

A few concept images by nostalgicleaf - Haven't seem him around for ages. I like the style of this... maybe up the size though
Spoiler:

A design by SD1AN (good ol' sheep... miss that guy)
Too many pictures, so you can find the thread
Here

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The forge (finally)

Post  sret on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:03 pm

While reading this I suddenly had the idea that we could possibly put it beneath the dining hall, based around the lava hole in the dome. The idea is that the forge is basically the boiler room (so to speak) for the city and those make sense to be found in the "basement". The void fog could help to add to the atmosphere without allowing mobs to spawn. Maybe there isn't enough room and this could be a terrible idea but I'm just throwing it out there as a suggestion.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 pm

That's a ctually a good idea...

The lava pit in the dome could actually be a lavafall into the forge, making the centre of it or something

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Perhaps funneling into a cauldron that "fuels" the furnaces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:19 pm

That could be cool. I was thinking of having tiny openings from it you know like smiths have (I suck at explaining). Perhaps we could have one side like that then on the opposite one have it flow into cauldrons, and thus have a lower floor there which will add to the architecture of the place?
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:28 am

I don't have any current ideas for the layout, but I do have some for the aesthetics. In some parts of the city we try and use mainly stone bases materials, but in others we use a variety (portal hall). I think that this build needs to be the most dwarfish of all, meaning large scale, intricate stone structures with a ton of lava. Hell, it could be inside a volcano like the Atrium. I was thinking of mostly stone brick structures with accents of red (besides lava) and black in small areas. Anyways, I have many more little idea's that would be difficult to explain in text so Ill probably just create a mock-up.

For the location I think that for it to be truly usable and convenient, it needs to be near the storage. I can't count how many times I forget to bring something that I need to other parts of the city and I think that will be amplified if the forge is really far away.
Arrowave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:34 am

I think I can pictur some of what you're saying...
And as much as close to store helps, I don't think we need to worry too much. As long as we include large enough storage in the forge for coal and stone/ores, we can have the main hub for stone there, and just keep a small supply in the main store room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:38 am

I didn't even think about putting storage AT the forge. We can always use more room for cobble. :3
Arrowave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:51 am

Brendanan wrote:I think I can pictur some of what you're saying...
And as much as close to store helps, I don't think we need to worry too much. As long as we include large enough storage in the forge for coal and stone/ores, we can have the main hub for stone there, and just keep a small supply in the main store room

When you say stone, do you mean cobble? If you wanna put our 100 chests of cobble in there it's gonna be more storage than forge (I know I know, we don't have a hundred yet, but just wait till we're done with the caverns...)
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:39 am

I mean stone as smeltables we will be smelting, and smelted stuff... We can quite easily fit in over 50 chests without cramping the place up, or making it look bad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:41 am

hmmmm. Ideas brewing in me brain. Twisted Evil
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:38 am

Supacreator wrote:hmmmm. Ideas brewing in me brain. Twisted Evil

Once they finished brewing, give us all a taste Wink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:56 am

My brewing ideas are coming together... unfortunately what I have would be a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE amount of effort.... We make a volcano... and build the forge inside. affraid or on the lazy side we could just make a large underground lava lake and still get the same effect but, yeah
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:42 am

Hmmm, no... I'm not thinking of something like that. I'm thinking something more in the style of the rest of the city, rather than just in a big volcano. We've already got 9.5 metric buttloads of digging to do for the farm caves anyway. As long as it has lots of lava, lots of furnaces, is relatively large, and looks awesome, I'm happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:48 am

Brendanan wrote:Hmmm, no... I'm not thinking of something like that. I'm thinking something more in the style of the rest of the city, rather than just in a big volcano. We've already got 9.5 metric buttloads of digging to do for the farm caves anyway. As long as it has lots of lava, lots of furnaces, is relatively large, and looks awesome, I'm happy

Didn't we have a plan once for a big reactor-like thingy with lots of redstone lamps flashing on and off in random sequences?
spectrumwars

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:21 am

spectrumwars wrote:[

Didn't we have a plan once for a big reactor-like thingy with lots of redstone lamps flashing on and off in random sequences?

I have a vague memory of that conversation, wasn't it one of the older members (maybe Snate?) that had some vision about it...
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:25 pm

I think that was for a power reactor, rather than forge... Something to be kept in mind for later though

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:03 pm

I really like the idea of having the forge underneath the lava pool, with the lava falling into a cauldron and coming out the sides, we could drop it all the way to bedrock, so the void fog makes it look all gloomy, and then either have the floor 1 level above bedrock, at the bedrock level so it's got random bits of bedrock, or even dig all the stone away and put a floor with some glass above the bedrock, so we can see all the uneven floor below. The one thing that concerns me is how high we can make it, i don't know how much distance there is between the lava pit and bedrock.

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:10 am

I agree on the below the lava pool in the dome... I'm unsure about the bedrock thing, mainly because I'm super OCD about having bedrock... I must ALWAYS have a layer of stone above the bedrock... but then again, it may or may not suit what we're going for. I do think that void fog would work well...

The cauldron I'm thinking would have to be out of one of the darkest materials we have (perhaps obsidian)... Maybe instead of having it coming out the bottom, we have it boiling over the top? Or pouring the lava out the top into a couple of streams which then feed the forges

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KaTiON on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Brendanan wrote:I'm unsure about the bedrock thing, mainly because I'm super OCD about having bedrock... I must ALWAYS have a layer of stone above the bedrock...

I'm not alone! Very Happy
KaTiON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:45 pm

KaTiON wrote:
Brendanan wrote:I'm unsure about the bedrock thing, mainly because I'm super OCD about having bedrock... I must ALWAYS have a layer of stone above the bedrock...

You most certainly aren't Wink
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:41 pm

sret wrote:
KaTiON wrote:

But would it fit in the circumstances?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:08 am

Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
KaTiON wrote:

Yes
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:20 am

sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
KaTiON wrote:

Yes

So you're saying that we'll have to torture our OCD with this then?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:45 am

Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
Brendanan wrote:
sret wrote:
KaTiON wrote:

Yes

So you're saying that we'll have to torture our OCD with this then?

I'm not sure
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top