Dwarven library? :O

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dwarven library? :O

Post  Arrowave on Wed May 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Sorry I disappeared for a couple days, was looking at a new computer I'm saving for. Anyways, I really like the idea of a massive dwarven library off to the side of our city. I agree that it shouldn't be the centerpiece of the city but hiding such a grand thing away would be a shame.

This would provide the rare opportunity to use some different materials like wood in this particular build. If any room is going to have wood, it might as well be the library.
Arrowave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu May 31, 2012 3:50 am

Good to see some more activity again Smile in a few days I should be all good too Very Happy

It seems a library is a popular idea, and I like having the daily activities, or even diaries in a common place Wink question is, where does it go?
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Thu May 31, 2012 8:52 am

Brendanan wrote:Good to see some more activity again Smile in a few days I should be all good too Very Happy

It seems a library is a popular idea, and I like having the daily activities, or even diaries in a common place Wink question is, where does it go?

Several possibilities leap to mind.

1.) Off to one side or the other of the Throne Room. Yeah, I know there are big caves there already, but that's pretty much true anywhere.

2.) At the end of a tunnel extending from the dining area out under and past the Portal Room, sort of mirroring the one out under the farms to the atrium.

3.) Remember that little archway-to-nowhere off the main entrance hallway? This would be something to put there and give that archway someplace to lead. Originally that was supposed to be to the barracks, but if we're gonna put that where the animal pens are now, might as well stick the library there.

4.) Off to one side of the tree farm, opposite where the huge-shroom-room/abandoned-mineshaft-entrance is, and under the entrance to the moon pool/now-dismantled-skeleton-grinder. That would put it near the source of wood and reeds, and near the atrium living quarters, and mean we wouldn't need a new subway stop.
spectrumwars

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu May 31, 2012 11:09 am

To add to the options state by SW

1. Opposite dome stop, where the old skele grinder used to be.

option 2 is where we were planning on putting the tunnel to the farm caves I think, but it could possibly be one that splits and goes 2 different ways.

The little archway I don't think is viable. Think how close it is to the surface... It actually IS on the surface if we were to take out the mountain. I don't think we could actually fit it there.

Dealing with caves is no problem at all.

I think it could possibly go at the end of the planned barracks, but not sure how well it would go having barracks and library so close together
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu May 31, 2012 11:47 am

Ok, I found the library that I had done before Very Happy Unfortunately it's been too long and mediafire has removed the link D: which means that the library is forever lost, since somehow it got removed from my computer... All that remains are those few pictures which you see. Of course it won't look anything like this in our world, as it is the wrong style, but this is just an example of size... this I'd consider small for our city

Thread with pictures is here http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/800965-library-of-minecraft-assistance-required/page__hl__library%20minecraft
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu May 31, 2012 11:50 am

I am possibly the happiest guy in the world! Just found it on my external hard drive Very Happy It looks shit on default texture pack btw :p
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Thu May 31, 2012 1:43 pm

I must admit that did look pretty cool. It's more of a standard-size library though and definitely nothing compared to the size we'd want.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu May 31, 2012 3:06 pm

Yeah, of course Smile It was a bitch to make legit though... Thousands of books. So close to complete too... Kinda got caught up in that world since my internet is too slow to be productive on the server
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu May 31, 2012 4:20 pm

believe it or not, there was 1446 bookcases in that library, which is 13,014 reeds, or over 3.5 double chests full... plus 2196 logs just for bookcases. Now, this is small in comparison to the scale we want... I made this legit on my own, and it was a shit load of work... between all of us, getting the necessary stuff should be a challenge, but not impossible
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Thu May 31, 2012 4:22 pm

We just need some very big farms. Wink
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu May 31, 2012 4:30 pm

Yep Wink I made this shortly after enchanting was introduced, so a while ago, but I do remember removing all my wheat for reeds, starting with about 9 stacks of reeds, then instantly discovering I wss going to need more. I had an on-site reef farm, as well as building another daily large one 19 square I think, as compact as I could
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave on Thu May 31, 2012 10:45 pm

That's a good start, but I definitely think we can go much bigger with all of us. It would be impossible with one person, but with all of us gathering the resources it shouldn't be a problem.
Arrowave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi on Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:31 am

yer, we could stick a temporary one somewhere where people always pass by, maybe in the atrium or raised above the floor of the dome, reeds grow pretty, quickly, so if we harvest them regularly it shouldn't be too much of a problem, we could also make an automatic one above the storeroom with pistons, like the mob grinder

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:45 am

I don't think we need to bother rushing into doing any of that just yet... Just harvest the current ones if you want to do anything. Remember, we got the farm caves and the atrium to do first
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:47 am

It still wouldn't hurt to stock up on books before you need leather to make them.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:49 am

That's why just harvest the farms we have regularly... It's about all I can do right now with my dodgy internet
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:51 am

Setting up and harvesting a fairly large reed farm is the simplest thing ever though. Smile
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:53 am

That it is... well, where do you suggest we put it? You could always come on now and join me Wink
seems my internet is working a bit better now
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:56 am

There we go, guys. Reed farm is up outside the entrance in the little valley to the right. You can't miss it. Smile
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:29 am

That should get us a reasonable amount of reeds to stock up on... I think it was about 2 stacks planted
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:03 am

In relation to the reed farms, where is our nearest swamp biome? If we put lillypads over the water sources, we wont end up with harvested reeds in the water
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Steel on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:57 am

I've set up a...little...larger cane farm outside in the desert, on the right near the water.

Dr. Steel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:12 am

So we've now got 2 extra cane farms!?
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Steel on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:04 pm

The other farm looked a little small for the amount of cane we need :U