Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Digging the appartments

Post  requiemmc on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:26 am

ok the atrum is almost finished

We need to decide the following.

The Roof of the atrium Domed or flat?

Glass or stone?

The apartment levels have been decided but we have not talked about how big each apartment in terms of distance from the atrium wall nor the shape each apartment will take Square or round?.

I think it might be a good idea for there to be a corridor that runs around the three levels of apartments

This would prevent apartments from growing larger than they should be.

what to do people think?

requiemmc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Digging the appartments

Post  Dr. Steel on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:50 pm

I think a glass ceiling doesn't really fit the dwarven theme, I'd go for something like the skylight in the Pantheon.
So, what I mean is a domed ceiling with a hole in the middle.

Like this.

Dr. Steel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:07 pm

Well.. Here was me trying to write a long thread with everything we needed to do on this, getting sret to proofread and add to it... Then I get beaten to it :p haha, nice work req... At least we have a discussion place now

Quick post cause phone, but we need to make sure we get this planned 100%

NO GLASS!!!!
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Recall that a big point of the atrium design was to allow daylight down to the bottom, cancelling out the Void Fog. That means either at least a partial glass ceiling, or holes in the ceiling. Personally, I say leave it open with a fence around it to prevent skeletons from falling in, shooting as they drop. Filling in too much of the top opening with rock or other opaque materials will defeat the whole purpose.
spectrumwars

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:52 am

OK so its a resounding leave the roof of the atrium as is. (there is already a fence)

so moving on to the apartments themselves.

how big and what shape will each apartment be? square or circular

what do people thing of the Access corridor idea?

What to people think of the lava and water fountain?

requiemmc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffewing997 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Is it going to be one story houses? Or two? How big will they be? Any windows?

jeffewing997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for keeping this going req Smile I'm just checking in... Can't even reply properly right now Sad hope its all going well
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:06 am

wow been very quite lately

There is one sample Apartment already dug (not sure who did it)
it can be found on the lowest level of the walkways

Can people please login have a look and comment?

are we happy with round or do we want the Apartments to be square?

Each apartment will be 2 stories high each with a total hight of 7. Each apartment will be separated from the floor above or below by 2 blocks so the people underneath don't have to see how you have decorated your floor.

What has to happen next

People need to explore the abandoned mine that we shall be building into to build the apartments. others have gone through and dropped a few torches here and there but its quite big and still has quite a ores in the walls still

We need a consensus on the perimeter corridor idea

We need consensus on the shape of the apartments

requiemmc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:08 pm

I like the apartment size, will the second floor be the same size? Not sure about the shape, i'd prefer it squared off, I'l dig another test one later so people can compare.

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:24 am

They are quite big already so i imagine that they would all be the same size.

I think square would be better too maybe make the next one square?

requiemmc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:40 am

I'm sort of in on this perimeter corridor if we can figure out how to make it work (it can't go the whole way around on all the levels cause of the tunnel to the housing. I've got a little time, so I'll have a look around there though Smile

Square would be easier to make, but would it look any good in the round pit?
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:08 am

Ok, I know what you guys mean...

First, that bit doesn't really look like an apartment, but i think it was a bit that had been dug out ages ago...

I put into the upper wall where that apartment is of what I'd imagined the balconies to look like. Note that there hasn't been anything built out intruding into the open space.

I'm not 100% sure of the way in which we enter the apartments, but i can't think of a better way to do it, and if we can make it work, then I'm happy with it. I suppose we can make the doors fit in the top of the staircase from the minecart stop.

With that "predug" apartment, if someone wants to find that middle point, so that it can be split into the two seperate apartments for that quadrant, and make a wall at least 2 thick (in the exact middle, so it may need to be 3 thick), that way we know the space acrossways we are dealing with. The inside can be square, as long as it won't intersect with the corridor surrounding. This means that the people can choose what shape they want their houses by throwing up walls, or breaking down walls (to the point of that corridor)...

Also, where the hell has everyone been!!! the only thing i've seen that's changed is the amount of iron in storage (we're in surplus again), and that door being added in the housing area (the other bit was already dug out). It doesn't appear that even the item grinder has been completed with the new lighting, or made more aesthetically pleasing either. The new chandeliers aren't up all over the place yet. Just cause I need to go for a week doesn't mean everyone does :p
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:47 am

Ok, so i got to spend a little more time there... I have made the dividing wall one block high in there, and the 'apartments' extend as close to the edge of the pit as it can.

Now, as for the balconies, we either need to design new staircases, or the houses next to the stairs won't have a balcony at all. Depends what you want to do... see what the general thought is Smile If you can come up with better looking stairs, by all means, put them in... my design isn't great, but its something...

Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:50 am

Ok well I've done a bit of work on one of the test ones, I've dug it out to it's maximum size and thrown in a couple of walls to give people a starting point, but it's ment to be more of a template for others to dig out than an instructional on how to build your apartment

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Abioticlime on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:54 am

Hi everyone, I am new to the project (recently accepted by Brendanan) and I have read just about all the posts in the forum. I just want to throw out some ideas for the apartments: 1. Will there be a special "Pent House Suite" on top of the apartments for your more than average dwarf :3? 2. for decorations in the rooms (disregard this if it is something you were going to do anyways) maybe fire/lava places? 3. I see that the city is lacking in a public market area where there are vendors stalls that sell food, supplies, weapons and armour, also if you could capture some NPC's you could lock the in the stalls to be the vendors Very Happy!

Hope this is helpful, and hopefully brendanan can give me a tour of the city! This is hard to do because he lives in Australia and I live in Canada Razz

Abioticlime

Abioticlime

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:58 am

Abioticlime wrote:
Hope this is helpful, and hopefully brendanan can give me a tour of the city! This is hard to do because he lives in Australia and I live in Canada Razz

Abioticlime

If he can't, I'll probably be able to. Smile
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:19 am

Abioticlime wrote:Hi everyone, I am new to the project (recently accepted by Brendanan) and I have read just about all the posts in the forum. I just want to throw out some ideas for the apartments: 1. Will there be a special "Pent House Suite" on top of the apartments for your more than average dwarf :3? 2. for decorations in the rooms (disregard this if it is something you were going to do anyways) maybe fire/lava places? 3. I see that the city is lacking in a public market area where there are vendors stalls that sell food, supplies, weapons and armour, also if you could capture some NPC's you could lock the in the stalls to be the vendors Very Happy!

Abioticlime
Hello and welcome to the project. I really like some of the ideas you mentioned, especially the ones that will make it more like a city full of dwarfs. Interior design is probably going to be up to the owner of the apartments and we will probably come up with some simple decorations for the extra apartments that we do not fill. I haven't heard anything about a "pent house suite" so far, but it's an interesting concept.
Arrowave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:35 am

The 'penthouse' has always been a thought in the back of my mind, but only minor... I suppose it is definitely a possibility... maybe make a floor where there are only two appartments... I've got a bit of uni work to do, but i also like to procrastinate, so i'll go online now, and if no one is around, i'll just afk and do work Wink
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:45 am

Well, i've seen the test apartment 1, and i like it Smile maybe a little more shaping and we've almost got a design Wink then we'll need to do a copy for the rest Smile keep the actual shape the same (same floor and wall layout), but everything else can be changed by the player (materials etc)... Dont get to digging them all out just yet though
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:09 pm

I noticed someone lowered the floor of the 2nd apartment by 1 block at some point and was just wondering why, I thought the reason for having it two thick was so people could edit the floors and ceilings seprately

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:14 pm

That was me. Because the editing is between your apartment and the one above/below yours. That way you're only interfering with your own decoration, not someone else's. We don't have room to fit the extra space within your own apartment too
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:10 pm

I kinda like the apartment aswell. My favorite part would be the balcony.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:04 am

Unfortunately the apartments near the stairs cannot have one unless the stairs are changed
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:26 am

we could build 4 sets of staircases at the cardinal points of the atrium and connect them to the outside access corridor of the apartments.

Then we don't need the staircases inside the atrium itself

The other thing is do we want grass at the bottom of the atrium or lava?

requiemmc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:41 am

lava, no question! And did you want to try that req? I can't get onto minecraft for a while anymore... right now i'm procrastinating massively... It might certainly work well Smile
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top