In search of new ideas.

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In search of new ideas.

Post  requiemmc on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:33 am

ok since we cant do much on the server at the moment. I've been looking for ideas for what we can build after the appartments are done.

check out this

The underground farm should be build to something close to this scale In fact I think it might be easier to build the farm at sea level and we should just build a cave around it.

I love the work that has gone into the bridge alone we need to build a bridge like this somewhere on our map

requiemmc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: In search of new ideas.

Post  sret on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Hm. I do like bridges.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:09 pm

I've always loved the idea of a bridge that runs through an internal chamber like that. Unfortunately, we are a bit limited by our fully legit play-style. I'm not saying we could never achieve something like this, but it would be a serious challenge.

I always wondered if it would be a good idea to establish a kind of digging quota that each member has to fill. Example: each person must dig 15 pickaxes worth each week. Even if the number isn't concrete, it could be something to aim for.
Arrowave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:47 am

Yeah, even if it's just in the mine... Just realized what I wanted to write is too big for my phone... I'll reply soon.
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:55 am

Digging what, exactly? Digging is possibly my favorite activity and I would happily dig 50 pickaxes worth a week, but we rarely have anything that needs digging (other than in the mine).

What makes you think a bridge would be such a challenge with our legit playstyle?
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:06 am

Not the bridge... The dug out mountain they used for it I believe.... Which was most likely created with a 3rd party program
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:07 am

Ah, but digging out those is the fun part!
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:08 am

Dw... I got and idea to get you digging count up to 15 picks a day, that'll last for weeks!!!
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:09 am

ooo, sounds like quite the treat Very Happy
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:10 am

Ooh yeah Wink
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:10 am

Ugh, dwarven city has suddenly started to send me mails for every post on here.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:12 am

That's why I made new account Wink still be notification, doesn't clog up my inbox
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:13 am

EVERYONE! Spam this topic to spam sret's inbox Wink
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:16 am

They used to end up in the junk mail. =<

Oh well, at least I know when somebody makes a post.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:32 am

Yep Wink so you'll know that i've just been able to write up based on the OP Smile

So, that does have a few great ideas (I saw it in stop motion due to it being on my phone), but remember, most of that we CANT implement, because their city is a completely different style to ours. They have had a pre-dug mountain (presumably created out of nowhere by a 3rd party program), and they were playing on creative, with what appeared to be at least 20 players. Whilst we are capable of things just as impressive, they will all be of a different style.

Now, with this big digging idea... remember what dr. steel posted about the dwarven power station? Basically a column of "power generating" stuff in the centre of a cylinder? How bout we increase the size of that. Expand it dramatically to fit another 4 of those columns around the centre one, spaced apart appropriately, with platforms circling round, and going past the centre one. Please dont make me have to explain this more... You should all get what I mean

Mimodo
Admin

View user profile http://mcdwarves.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:34 am

I totally can't picture that, please explain more.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:54 am

Mimodo wrote:Yep Wink so you'll know that i've just been able to write up based on the OP Smile

So, that does have a few great ideas (I saw it in stop motion due to it being on my phone), but remember, most of that we CANT implement, because their city is a completely different style to ours. They have had a pre-dug mountain (presumably created out of nowhere by a 3rd party program), and they were playing on creative, with what appeared to be at least 20 players. Whilst we are capable of things just as impressive, they will all be of a different style.

Now, with this big digging idea... remember what dr. steel posted about the dwarven power station? Basically a column of "power generating" stuff in the centre of a cylinder? How bout we increase the size of that. Expand it dramatically to fit another 4 of those columns around the centre one, spaced apart appropriately, with platforms circling round, and going past the centre one. Please dont make me have to explain this more... You should all get what I mean

After looking at the above vid I thought a single generator was not a large enough scale either.

working on a new version now in creative but instead of a cylinder you have a oval shaped chamber with the generators in a line and catwalks between each one.

Just so you know they used voxel sniper to build the cave first then when to work in creative to detail it.

but i do think with enough planing we could probably do something that looks similar for the farm island cave
just replace the lava falling from the roof with water and build it maybe maybe 1/5th the size.

requiemmc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:51 am

Mimodo wrote:

Sort of like this project built by my friend Chris on our former server, but in a cave rather than on the surface, and with more redstone lamps and chasing-lights with repeaters and such?

spectrumwars

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:01 pm

Not quite... Tell ya what, I'll do a little mockup tomorrow if I get the time... Small scale
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:57 pm

With regards to the bridge, I suggested a while ago that one of the tunnels be intersected by an artificial ravine, which we could then bridge over, I originally pushed for the tunnel to the housing, but as we've got some new stuff under development, we could do it there, the one problem is that we seem to be putting stuff like the power station quite close to other stuff, so we could either move it further away from everything in order to make room for the ravine/bridge, or go back and stick it somewhere along the tunnel to the housing.

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:26 pm

3rdi wrote:With regards to the bridge, I suggested a while ago that one of the tunnels be intersected by an artificial ravine, which we could then bridge over, I originally pushed for the tunnel to the housing, but as we've got some new stuff under development, we could do it there, the one problem is that we seem to be putting stuff like the power station quite close to other stuff, so we could either move it further away from everything in order to make room for the ravine/bridge, or go back and stick it somewhere along the tunnel to the housing.
This would probably be the most practical way to create a bridge in the city. About how wide would the ravine be though? Natural ravines are hardly wide enough to make a nice ornate bridge.
Arrowave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:41 pm

I was thinking maybe 1.5 times the width? the problem with making big ravines is you need to make it far longer length and height-wise than width-wise, or they look strange. If 1.5 times isn't big enough we could dig into the wall, making it quite wide around the bridge, then normal ravine shaped elsewhere.

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:45 pm

Don't forget, lava at the bottom of it. Wink
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:14 am

Hmmm... Let's think of a better place to put it. An artificial ravine is just too small. We want something big. VERY big.
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:55 am

sret wrote:Don't forget, lava at the bottom of it. Wink

that goes without saying Very Happy

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content