Obsidian generation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Obsidian generation

Post  Dr. Steel on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:29 pm

As some of you may know there's a way to convert redstone into obsidian through use of lava and water, without consuming the water or the lava.
This is really useful for acquiring obsidian without having to go down into a deep cave and mine it while being chased by creepers.

It does require some basic redstone work in the back to make it look nice, but when it's up you can convert as much redstone as you want to obsidian.

I think this is pretty neat to make as it's not that cheaty; it actually consumes redstone.
And you still have to mine it.

So, should we make one of these things?

Dr. Steel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Obsidian generation

Post  requiemmc on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:37 pm

not sure i always find it easier to use the red stone lava water trick to make the obsidian where i want it.

but since we have ready access to nether and an endless supply of lava you can also just convert the lava to obsidian where ever it is you want the obsidian.

i think wasting a diamond pick to mine obsidian out of a obsidian generator a bit of a waste. there is lots of obsidian in the mines that you can dig out if you want with out risk of mob attacks.

requiemmc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Since I'm fairly certain that redstone-to-obsidian trick is not actually intentional, I classify it as loophole abuse and don't use it. There are other, safer and less cheaty ways to get obsidian.

1.) Naturally-occurring Obsidian. Plenty of that in caves that are nicely lit up and reasonably mob-safe. You do have to be careful of the lava pockets under much of the obsidian, but it's not a huge problem, and I've mined a few stacks of obsidian myself this way.

2.) Bucket of water plus lava lake. Manmade version of the above. You have to bring your own bucket of water, but otherwise identical to the above.

3.) Empty buckets plus lava lake. A safer way to get lava from the lakes in our caves is with buckets, then pour the buckets in a nearby convenient shallow hole, followed by a dash of water to solidify it into obsidian. A little more work, a lot less chance of melting yourself or burning up the obsidian drops you just spent several seconds mining. Or you could fetch buckets from the nether, but that's a lot of legwork and a bit more dangerous since you can't use water in the nether.

4.) Potion Plus Obsidian-topped Lava Lake. It actually takes a couple of seconds for an obsidian block to burn up in lava, and you can pick it up in that interval if you dive in after it. Chug an extended potion of fire resistance. Wade right into an obsidian-encrusted lava lake and mine the top layer, not even bothering to worry about the bottom lava layers. Heck knows we've got enough blaze powder and slimeballs and netherwart. Which means it's a completely legit way to convert redstone (and magma cream and netherwart) into obsidian! Just remember to quaff another potion before the 8 minutes are up!

spectrumwars

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:14 pm

I love this trick and definitely think we should make one, I personally keep one on each of my worlds.

It uses some redstone aswell, but I don't see why you would need to do any wiring?

This is a perfect example of the industrial side of dwarves and would fit great in the forge room, don't you think?
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:54 pm

I'd never fully decided on this form of obsidian generation... I generally use troughs, which are even cooler, and simpler. A row of troughs filled with lava... Water flows, mine obsidian, little hassle
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Brendanan wrote:I'd never fully decided on this form of obsidian generation... I generally use troughs, which are even cooler, and simpler. A row of troughs filled with lava... Water flows, mine obsidian, little hassle

That is basically how it works, except you put redstone in the troughs first.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:16 pm

I know how it works Smile I was one of the first to actually see the thread where the glitch was first discovered, and it was the first video I ever watched for minecraft Wink my little claim to fame
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:12 pm

It wasn't too well-known when I came by it either, I felt cool knowing it. xD
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Steel on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:07 pm

sret wrote:It wasn't too well-known when I came by it either, I felt cool knowing it. xD

Yup, I carefully exploited this in my 'home' server, set up a series of automated obsidian factories that looked pretty neat and have a whole lot of redstone behind it as well.

In detail, it was a flat smoothstone wall with a through with flowing water below it.
Flick a switch and 3 1x2 holes appear in the wall, pouring lava out. They stay open for about 5 seconds.

Then, after 5 more seconds an array of pistons pushes away the excess lava.
During this process all doors are shut and an alarm sounds with blinky red lights(yay!).

Dr. Steel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:00 pm

That sounds crazy. I wish I could operate redstone.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackwind on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:03 pm

Some things are actually pretty simple, play around with it and keep looking up the redstone pages for reference.
Blackwind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:27 pm

Sret, if you ever get too bored, I can help you play around with the basics Smile as blackwind said, a lot of it isn't too difficult once you get your head around the basics, and with that you can do a lot
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:10 am

I suppose I can give it another shot sometime. Smile
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Wink
Brendanan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:00 am

I vote no. There are MANY other ways to get the stuff rather than "farming" it. Feels too industrialized and not dwarfy in my opinion.
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:49 am

But... dwarves are quite industrial! Don't worry though, we've never used it Wink
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:22 am

We've never needed to use it. Instead we hav the method of giving sret a bucket of water, and placing him near an artificial lava river

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:37 am

At least I will never burn to death like SW Wink
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:56 am

sret wrote:At least I will never burn to death like SW Wink

Hey! I always carry a bucket of water on me, and recently I've even managed to train myself to actually USE it when I fall into lava, instead of flailing around trying to swim out of it first. Unfortunately, my last fiery death happened when I didn't have a bucket, due to dying in The End, and not wanting to waste time finding and filling another bucket before making the long trip back up to the End Portal.
spectrumwars

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Supacreator on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:38 am

heh, i guess that works
Supacreator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:22 am

spectrumwars wrote:

Hey! I always carry a bucket of water on me, and recently I've even managed to train myself to actually USE it when I fall into lava, instead of flailing around trying to swim out of it first. Unfortunately, my last fiery death happened when I didn't have a bucket, due to dying in The End, and not wanting to waste time finding and filling another bucket before making the long trip back up to the End Portal.

And in the mean time I practice my high diving from the top floor of housing Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:04 pm

spectrumwars wrote:

It's alright, I was just recalling your past lag-issues that made any open lava a threat.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendanan on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:00 am

sret wrote:
spectrumwars wrote:

It's alright, I was just recalling your past lag-issues that made any open lava a threat.

And all we did was add more Wink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top