So what did YOU do today?

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: So what did YOU do today?

Post  spectrumwars on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:33 pm

I slept all last night and didn't get a chance to go on. But this morning I did come on for a bit. Made a trip to the surface to chop some wood (found a surface-opening cave near the base of some trees when a Zombie came out of it and killed me...went back, lit it up, dug some coal out of it). Someone has been cutting trees and not re-planting. I planted some more saplings, and left some saplings and axes in the chest near the entrance.

I Dropped a stack of wood and some food from the farm off in the storage room, then brought some dirt back to the farm. Someone keeps taking from the working chests in the farm tunnel all the dirt and cobble stacks I have been keeping there for use during construction: dirt for the grass floors, cobble for smelting into smoothstone for detailing the walls. While I understand we're supposed to be putting everything in the main storeroom, there's plenty of dirt and cobble there already, and it's a bit of a hike to go there for a couple of stacks of dirt each time I dig out a new sheep pen. Someone also removed the redstone I'd brought up to the farm to use in making a push-button auto-harvesting system for the main wheat farm.

Anyways, I Extended the top-floor tunnel in the farm a bit and started on the first pair of sheep pens. Got the first pen outlined, plus dug the holes for the firing line of Snow Golems which will be embedded in the walls as an anti-Enderman guard system. Do we have a source of snow nearby?
spectrumwars

View user profile http://capiteterram.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:56 pm

I have not seen any snow anywhere nearby. I know there's some about 500 blocks away, not sure about closer.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  3rdi on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Arrowave wrote:I didn't do too much today. the most noteworthy thing that I did is redesign the entrance. Hope you guys like it.

I think it looks quite cool, should we put a piston+fence gate in front of it though to stop sneaky creepers?

3rdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffewing997 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:11 pm

I've harvested the farm and slaughtered the animals 3 or 4 times. We've also recently dug a rail line from the farm to the store room. I've mined a little and got about a stack of redstone

jeffewing997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:23 am

3rdi wrote:
Arrowave wrote:I didn't do too much today. the most noteworthy thing that I did is redesign the entrance. Hope you guys like it.

I think it looks quite cool, should we put a piston+fence gate in front of it though to stop sneaky creepers?
Yeah we probably should, I'm gonna leave what we do up to everyone else though.
Arrowave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:59 am

Lots of stuff done today.

We dug out a passage from the farms to the storage, laid tracks, and then Splated fixed it all up and we can now take carts from the storage to either the farms or the mines (it's pretty cool, you should try it out).

We also went on a snow collecting trip at location #1, gathered some wood (badly need a treefarm) and did a lot of spelunking that yielded plenty of everything but diamonds.

I probably forgot something, and there's more to come.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:30 am

Alright, you guys just missed the biggest battle our young army has fought.

Jeff and I were going to the zombie spawner to grind some exp, where we realized something was wrong. Heracles noticed that somebody had messed it up, and before we knew it, the entire area was overrun with zombies. We all died several times and had to fight together in tunnels with dozens of zombies. Turned out there was another unlit zombie dungeon nearby that added to their numbers.

We eventually pulled through and secured the area and fixed the spawner. It was great fun though. Very Happy
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffewing997 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:37 am

sret wrote:Alright, you guys just missed the biggest battle our young army has fought.

Jeff and I were going to the zombie spawner to grind some exp, where we realized something was wrong. Heracles noticed that somebody had messed it up, and before we knew it, the entire area was overrun with zombies. We all died several times and had to fight together in tunnels with dozens of zombies. Turned out there was another unlit zombie dungeon nearby that added to their numbers.

We eventually pulled through and secured the area and fixed the spawner. It was great fun though. Very Happy
it was crazy. I died at least 7 times Very Happy

jeffewing997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:38 am

sret wrote:Alright, you guys just missed the biggest battle our young army has fought.

I must say that is pretty awesome. I kinda wish I had been there.
Arrowave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffewing997 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:32 am

[img][/img]

Sret told us to not let him die while he went afk...

jeffewing997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arrowave on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:30 am

I helped raid the Nether with some others. We got a netherwart farm set up in Nether Base along with a brewing stand. Bren also neutralized a Blaze spawner. There was much dying in the process.
Arrowave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:37 am

Ugh, wrote a huge wall of text then hit the back button as I was typing the last word. >.>

Summary:

We started on a nether portal room and got the portal up right away. We gathered glowstone and found a fortress but all of us died over and over and failed at retrieving the glowstone. We eventually secured parts of the fortress, including a blaze spawner. Found netherwarts and got blaze rods and warts back to our small base in the nether at the portal, where we set up a temporary brewing stand with a netherwart farm. It was frustrating for a bit but we conquered the nether. Very Happy (still need to get glowstone though)
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:33 am

I made a tree farm its at the end of the lower farm tunnel.

I also started work on making sheep pens since someone had done all the hard work at figuring out where the doors for them should be.

requiemmc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:39 am

Nice! We really really really needed a tree farm and I'm sure SW will be very happy to find the pens started.
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:52 am

Well, I joined today and decided to get the ball rolling a bit: so we began on the portal room. 

After much screwing around, dismantling of a tree farm, and heaps of ideas, like our little river of lava from under the bridge, and of course stopping Jeff from running off and spelunking, we began on the room. 

Now, since the room is practically built from the finds of the nether, all we have is the portal. (more into our trip later). 

We have the portal now set up, and is the centre of the room (if that gives you an idea of size) . The 4 torches in a row are the start of the room. We need to get the room dug out... It'll be at least 8-10 blocks high. Once that is done, we make it look like it came from the nether. Dismantle entire nether fortresses to place netherbrick. We need lava falls, glow stone, and burning netherack. 

Now, our trip to the nether is what you could call 'eventful'. We collected a heap of stuff, then found a nether fortress. Arrow managed to ditch us, so he was on his own in the fortress, whilst me, sret, and SD1AN tried to find out way to him. Arrowave died, leaving us nothing but coordinates, and then SD1AN showed us that he cannot jump lava very well. 

Just us two left living in this hell hole, sret and I continued on our way to find the fortress, and thus, our source of bricks, netherwart, and blaze rods. 

Realizing we were going the wrong way, I decided to shortcut across the lava pit, many metres below. With sret gazing in horror as I slowly bridge across the ocean of lava, and the others laughing at my stupidity, I made it across safely, with sret sprinting after me. 

We then make it to a suspended chunk of netherack, hanging over the lake, which required us to again bridge to the other side, and make it safely to the nether fortress.

This time thinking about the safety of my items, I give them to sret before making yet another bridge to our destination. 

I have almost arrived, when I see a fireball rushing past my face, narrowly missing me. Desperate, I try to finish the bridge, and end up making a leap of faith to solid ground, far below. With only half my health left, I don't even look to see if sret has made it. I whip out my bow, and start shooting at the ghast. 

I manage to kill the beast with my arrows, and I regroup with sret at the bottom of one of the bridge supports for the fortress. 

We dig up the centre of the tower, and emerge upon the top of a bridge. A visible blaze is quickly dispatched with my bow, and we proceed to the spawner. 

I stay back with my bow, sniping the flaming demons, whilst sret runs in a throws torches all around the spawner. 

Drawing back my bow, I sidestep to avoid a fireball, and plunge off the bridge to my doom. 

Sret is now the sole survivor of our expedition to hell. He walks himself into a small area, since the blazes refuse to stop spawning, despite the countless torches, as he awaits rescue. 

That is where the fun starts. Suicide run after suicide run from both arrowave and myself end in failure, as we are quickly killed by ghasts and blazes. Sret ends up dying too, so the race was on to save our items collected. Eventually, both sret and arrowave manage to wall themselves off in separate rooms, although most of our items had been lost. 

I tried time after time to make a rescue, and failed constantly. Arrowave died of hunger, and sret followed soon after, to some foul creature of the underworld. That's when my luck changed for the better. 

All the mobs despawned, with no one around them. I made it in, and collected the items from everyone, although greatly diminished from the original quantity. I start walking the place in, to offer protection, and arrive shortly after, arrowave assists. 

We slowly make the spawner safe for us to be near, sret joined us again, and he found us some netherwart. 

Finally, we had conquered the nether. I left shortly after, but I believe it was a great bonding excersise for all of us Wink

Hope you enjoyed my story Wink

Mimodo
Admin

View user profile http://mcdwarves.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:39 pm

The Wheat portion of the Wheat/Reeds/Cactus farm is now auto-harvested via a lever on the right-hand wall as you walk in. Unused redstone and such has been returned to the Warehouse.

I heartily approve of the idea of a tree farm at the end of the farming tunnels, but the first location wasn't quite at the end, but rather, in the middle of the last pair of sheep pens on that level. All sheep pen entrances have now been marked, and RequiemMC and I have dug out a new tree farm at the true far end. While digging out the upper level of that I stumbled upon a massive ravine and abandoned mineshaft system. While lighting that up and blocking off a couple of lava flows, a creeper blew me into the lava and I lost more than half a stack of iron ore I'd gathered up to that point, along with about half the rest of my gear. At least I was able to salvage the 9 gold ore I'd also found by that point, along with my glass, clock, bow, and arrows.

Thanks for the snow, guys. I have installed the first few rows of Snow Golem defensive turrets to protect some of the pens and farms, and installed two more golems in a makeshift Snow Room in the entrance to one of the yet-unexcavated sheep pens.

I also re-organized the warehouse a bit, although I'm still not quite happy with it. Someone built a cool forge room prototype just off the warehouse, but I haven't been able to find where you guys stuck the Portal Room just yet.

spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:35 pm

ahh I miss all the cool stuff.

Yesterday, I redid all the track between the store room and the train depot also made it water proof.
I connected the farm areas to the train system. The depot and store room now have selector buttons for picking your destinations.

Splated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sret on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:39 pm

The forge prototype was Heracles' work, he wanted to try a design and show it to us. The portal room is on the opposite side of the entrance hall, the cave system you decided not to build the animal pens in.

Yes, I must say Splated did a great job with the tracks, despite me accidentally releasing a water bucket in a nearby cave that found its way onto the tracks and forced him to re-do a lot of it. Sorry again. Smile
sret
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Splated on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:18 am

The hopper in the store room is unreliable, it seems to jam so i simplified the system the carts just dump in a slot in the wall they will stack until something moves them.

The launcher in the storage room was moved to the left a bit

I also redid the store room, and cleaned up all the halls near it.

Splated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffewing997 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:12 am

I secured the path from the portal to the lava mine so no ghasts will kill you on your way there

jeffewing997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:18 am

And what did I do today? Well.....

All my work was nether based today. I began brewing potions. Someone else followed me, and we now have a relatively healthy supply of fire resistance potions. I was thinking that we make a large number of swiftness potions and throw them next to the bed, to speed up the journey throughout the place. 

Once we had some potions, sret, Spectrumwars??? (think it was him) and I went on an expedition for glowstone. This time much less eventful than last, the only minor mishap was when heracles tried to join us, and died of hunger. 

Back with a decent supply of glowstone, I developed a symbol for the nether portal room. We still need to make a final decision on which one. I did just have an idea with it though, and I'll put that in another thread. 

I decided to go back into the nether, and I made our lava mines. These work quite simply, where you take the top layer of the lava, and then place a dirt block. Once we extend a fair way, we remove all the dirt, and go down a level. This ensures that no lava is missed, and removes all flowing lava, as well as let's you know where is still good to take from. Please don't screw up the system. 

I have a minecart track up there, but it needs to actually be thought about, rather than just thrown in. 

I then created a path (although not very safe) of cobblestone, from the nether base to the fortress. I'll make it safer later, but for now, it'll get you there. 

I then went back to the nether room, and began more work on that. I'm currently designing the redstone for a hidden piston door to an enchanting/brewing room (the wizard's quarters). I'd like to do this myself, as I'm refreshing my redstone knowledge in the process. After its done, if anyone wants to make changes and improvements to it, feel free, and tell me what and how you did it Smile personal learning in progress Wink

And that's about my day Wink

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spectrumwars on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:03 am

Yes, that was me in the Nether with you. I managed to die as well. I tried to save the fire resistance potions for the trip back...but the trip out took too long. I got hit by a ghast fireball and set on fire almost immediately and had to quaff my first potion to put it out...then just before we reached the netherfortress, my resistance wore off and I immediately got hit again despite dodging at full speed. I made some use of my resistance in going into the blaze spawner and lighting it up better so it can be more effectively boxed in for use as an XP/rod grinder, and got yelled at for my troubles. So I went outside and tried to light up the little ledge around the bottom of the spawner platform where blazes can spawn...but only managed one side of the platform before a combination of waning fire resistance and a ghast shooting exploding fireballs at me while I was on a very, very narrow platform high above lava forced me back inside. While everyone else wandered around doing a whole lot of nothing for a while, I stashed what glowstone and blaze rods had been gathered so far in a chest in the not-safe-at-all safehouse next to the blaze spawner, in case of death. Which probably was a wise idea, as no sooner did I poke my head above the exit to see if it might be sort of safe to make a dash back for the portal all by myself, then a Blaze appeared and set me on fire. I died on the stairs of the safehouse. I think someone got my dropped items, I consider them a donation to the replacment-gear-for-use-in-the-nether fund.

Instead of trying to rejoin the group at the Netherfort, I decided to make a couple of supply runs through the portal. I made a Cauldron and brought over some extra glass and whatever buckets I could find and fill with water, plus some overworld-derived potion reagents. I set the Cauldron up in the Netherbase, made some more bottles, crafted a second Brewing Stand, and set about increasing our stores of Fire Resistance Potions, as two per person is not enough for serious nether exploration. I made three batches and then made a quick run back to the overworld to refill the buckets with water, and stashed them in the chest in the netherbase. Even though it doesn't fit well with the "Slice o' the Nether" theme for the portal room, I think we should put an infinite spring in there to facilitate quick trips back and forth for water for potions, especially if we are gonna be doing a lot of on-site brewing in the Nether.

After that, I returned to the farms to work on the Tree Farm. I finished excavating the second level of the tree farm, so now we can grow taller trees such as pine trees if we want. I ran into a couple more caves while doing so, including one that's open to the surface above, and which I wasn't able to fully explore below without risking almost certain death due to not having armor or a sword better than stone handy at the time. That one's fully walled off for the time being until I can come back with a door to make a proper sortie point.

Then I mostly concentrated on harvesting the farms and taking loads of food and wood to the central warehouse for storage. I wanted to build up a good stock of wood for public use in there before I consume several harvest loads of the tree farm's output to make fences for the remaining sheep pens. I also wanted to make sure we had plenty of food around, so poor Heracles doesn't have to starve and sret can stop eating Rotten Flesh.

spectrumwars

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:23 am

Hey, leave mine and sret's undead meat eating habits out of this :p

Hopefully it's easier to make it to the fortress and back now.

The blaze spawner, whilst dark, was safe when I'd left it after boxing it in... Someone removed the safety blocks. We need to turn it into a safe trap

Don't worry too much about making potion brewing in the nether. I'll make a fully operational brewing station behind the piston door near the portal. The wart will grow, cause sret seems to be afk enough anyway :p

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  requiemmc on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Did a little bit of this and and a little bit of that today.

Worked on harvesting the Tree farm,

Gathered wheat and sowed the wheat farms. (love how the automated farm works.)

Then since everyone else was doing it when through the portal to the nether to grab some glow stone.

(since the roof of the tree farm was kinda dark) grabbed a stack and a bit of glowstone powder then went off to the fortress to gather nether bricks for the portal room.

on the way back had to dodge past a flock?? of ghasts about 4 or 5 attacking the base.

requiemmc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimodo on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:19 pm

I'd call em a swarm maybe... Or maybe they can fit in with crows... A murder of ghasts

Mimodo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top